Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I've never heard of a cold brooder. If you can get the incumbator stable enough to hatch the eggs then use an oversized brooder with a thermostat and keep it in one of the cooler rooms of the house.
If it doesn't get over 37c then you can use heat overnight or when it's below 30c for the first week and leave them heat free.

I get outdoor temperatures in the 40s in summer so I let the heavy birds and chicks use the laundry to cool off. My silkies and frizzles don't seem to mind the hot as much

I've never heard of a cold brooder. If you can get the incumbator stable enough to hatch the eggs then use an oversized brooder with a thermostat and keep it in one of the cooler rooms of the house.
If it doesn't get over 37c then you can use heat overnight or when it's below 30c for the first week and leave them heat free.

Some people have had nasty experiences with heat lamps catching fire. A cold brooder makes way more sense in warmer climates and also makes the chicks more robust to the elements. I've used one in the summer here by just using a vileda cloth mop head $10 ,but some people cut up fabric. The theory is that the chicks create body heat and it is trapped in the strands and of course it emulates momma hen above them. :)

These pics aren't mine , but you get the drift.

Some people have had nasty experiences with heat lamps catching fire. A cold brooder makes way more sense in warmer climates and also makes the chicks more robust to the elements. I've used one in the summer here by just using a vileda cloth mop head $10 ,but some people cut up fabric. The theory is that the chicks create body heat and it is trapped in the strands and of course it emulates momma hen above them. :)

These pics aren't mine , but you get the drift.

Thanks. That is indeed a much better method than using a little heater.

I have no idea how to link/copy someone's post to refer to it. Sorry! My cold brooder is similar to the photo above though I wish I'd thought of the vileda mop, easier than what I did. I put a box inside a box, insulated with straw, then cut up old t shirts, hung them from the "roof" and temp in there is a snug 33c. As only 1 chick hatched I bought 2 to keep her company haha! Tonight I placed them all "behind the curtain" (supposed to emulate mother hen's feathers) and they snuggled up on a soft piece of towelling and fell straight asleep. This is my brooder in the course of construction ha ha

I have no idea how to link/copy someone's post to refer to it. Sorry! My cold brooder is similar to the photo above though I wish I'd thought of the vileda mop, easier than what I did. I put a box inside a box, insulated with straw, then cut up old t shirts, hung them from the "roof" and temp in there is a snug 33c. As only 1 chick hatched I bought 2 to keep her company haha! Tonight I placed them all "behind the curtain" (supposed to emulate mother hen's feathers) and they snuggled up on a soft piece of towelling and fell straight asleep. This is my brooder in the course of construction ha ha

Hi. If you wish to reply to a specific post just click on the ' quote ' bar at the bottom of the post.
Your chick will tell you if it isn't warm enough by chirping constantly, but it sounds like you are doing a great job.
263a.png

Howdy Folks
frow.gif

Real quick cos I am not supposed to be typing and if hubby catches me, I am toast! lol. Just letting you know that I am OK now and should be back on deck in a week when I can catch up on all the news. I hope you are all doing OK, I miss you!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom