Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hmmm day got a little worse went to let bidda and and found her dead. Squished with blood coming out of her little Beak. R.I.P little lady. I did find a small gap in biddas cage that i will be fixing today but still can't find how it got into anni and rods. I have it trapped in their cage still hopefully it stays their til hubby gets home so he can relocate it. It shows just how hot it and dry it has been out here if a snake will kill something hopeing it can eat it, they hardly ever do that.

Hmmm day got a little worse went to let bidda and and found her dead. Squished with blood coming out of her little Beak. R.I.P little lady. I did find a small gap in biddas cage that i will be fixing today but still can't find how it got into anni and rods. I have it trapped in their cage still hopefully it stays their til hubby gets home so he can relocate it. It shows just how hot it and dry it has been out here if a snake will kill something hopeing it can eat it, they hardly ever do that.
Sorry to hear what happened. How big is that gap in the photo? I kind of think the snake could flatten itself enough to get under perhaps?

Hello everyone I am in the Adelaide hills with my lonely chook Isa Brown we lost her pal Monday :( I am looking for another few friends new Hampshire-Welsummer or a more hardy chook that won't be laying like crazy like the poor Isa's so many problems any people selling here ?? I have posted on wanted t buy sell ...no bites yet . Thanks

Howdy folks
frow.gif

sjturner79 may be your chickens are not looking overheated as such but more suffering the effects of a severe temperature change
hu.gif

Fizzybelle
lau.gif
@ "impossible just about to get that birds beak open when you want, unless it's 5am"

Crystal is my turd when it comes to reinforcing the current pecking order [she is #3] and Dusty is my right hand fight breaker upperer [#2]. Cilla, the actual matriarch, pretty much ignores them all unless they encroach on her space.

Hey MiddleWoods I would love to see some pictures of your coop when you get a chance.

Satay Oh No, not little Teila!
hit.gif
I am so very sorry to hear of your losses
hugs.gif
Stoopid, fat snake!!!
somad.gif

Hey Miffny sorry that I can’t help you on your search but wish you luck. I have been down the lonely chicken path ... frantic dash to buy new friend, waive quarantine etc a couple of times and since then vowed to never have less than 3, just in case and giving me more time to have a hatch to increase numbers again.

I hope you do not mind me saying, be careful if you get a few because if they are not youngsters and have come from the same place they may already be friends and will most likely bully your loner.

Last edited:
So, I have some, sort of exciting, news .. hubby got an interview for the job he applied for in FNQ. Just organizing a quick trip up there for him, fly up on Monday, interview Tuesday and back on Wednesday.

The were amendable to an In Person or Skype interview but we figured his actually showing up in person would be a tick in the 'keen' box. Got everything crossed!
fl.gif
On the down side, if he gets the job we are going to be apart for a few months [may be 5
sad.png
] but definitely worth it!

Last edited:
It only got to 37c which yes was cooler. We had the power off from 11 til 2 hottest part of the day but they seemed to all make it through ok. Original letter said 8 til 5 but i saw they didn't even show up to start the work til after 10. Todays meant to be hot again.

Satay -- So sad to hear that you lost little Teila and Bidda to that snake. He / she looks like a big one. I believe they can flatten themselves to a large degree to slither under things. RIP to your little girls.

Glad you got safely through that potentially horrid water-less day satay ....

Can't say I am surprised that the workers reduced their time to 3 hours. Wouldn't turn up at all in Victoria - because of our laws - 35°C and it's down tools especially for the CFMEU - an amalgamation of 4 unions - Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy.

It sometimes depends however, on the particular Union as to maximum temps to work in. A few will go to 40°C before packing it in. Depends also on the type of work I guess.

Strange that the hottest part of the day remains at around midday in Queensland. In Victoria, - on continuing very hot days, the temp rises to its' top around 4 - 6 pm. 9 times out of 10. ... other than that, a fall in temperature due to a change, that occurs mid afternoon, those temps won't be realised. When I was a kid, the absolute hottest part of the day was 12 noon - 2 pm. Now - all so different.

Cheers ......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom