Australorp question/concern

Kryztyna

In the Brooder
May 4, 2022
Hey
I got this australorp and she has what I believe to be pendulum crop? But around her eyes are also a pale pink almost grayish. What should I be looking for or ????? To help her out

Hey
I got this australorp and she has what I believe to be pendulum crop? But around her eyes are also a pale pink almost grayish. What should I be looking for or ????? To help her out
Can you get photos of her, the concern of the eyes and her poop?

I'd re-check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight. Sometimes a crop can look really full during the day when the hen has been eating/drinking, but it will empty during roosting.

How old is she and what do you feed?

If the crop is not emptying, then you'll want to address that symptom. Sometimes a crop bra is needed as well if treatment is not going well. This article will help you access what treatment is needed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you get photos of her, the concern of the eyes and her poop?

I'd re-check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight. Sometimes a crop can look really full during the day when the hen has been eating/drinking, but it will empty during roosting.

How old is she and what do you feed?

If the crop is not emptying, then you'll want to address that symptom. Sometimes a crop bra is needed as well if treatment is not going well. This article will help you access what treatment is needed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Hello
I am not 100% on how old she is but was told she is about 1. Not the best pictures but best I can do right now. My phone makes her eyes look pinker then they are. They are a bit lighter. And when she is walking she scratches at her crop because it is hanging down so much ???? Her crop hangs more than the picture but I took her away from the food dish for last couple hours 🙄 it seems to get smaller but still hangs and gets in her way

Attachments

• 20230528_203753.jpg
    20230528_203753.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230528_203725.jpg
    20230528_203725.jpg
    403.8 KB · Views: 3
Is she new to you?

I'd re-check her crop first thing, if it's not emptied, then I'd begin treatin as sour crop since she seems to itch at it. She may also benefit from a crop bra. Instructions on how to make one are in the article I linked.

Do look her over for lice/mites.

Does she lay eggs?

Australorps have white skin, so she may be a bit pale if she's not in lay or an older hen.

Is she new to you?

I'd re-check her crop first thing, if it's not emptied, then I'd begin treatin as sour crop since she seems to itch at it. She may also benefit from a crop bra. Instructions on how to make one are in the article I linked.

Does she lay eggs?

Australorps have white skin, so she may be a bit pale if she's not in lay or an older hen.
In the morning her crop is smaller but still hanging. It's soft and squishy like a water balloon kinda. Yes she is new to me. She lays small brown eggs every couple days. I will look her over for bugs and will check out the link.
Thanks so much

Is she new to you?

Does she lay eggs?

I will also try to get a better pic with her hanging crop

Back
Top Bottom