Aw, Geez... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibicella

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Everett, WA
I just spent the last 45 minutes consoling a friend of mine on the phone.

She's been having trouble with some kind of black lab mix in her neighborhood. She's seen this dog multiple times and it already chewed up her coop and killed three of her layers. She repaired the coop and it couldn't get to the rest of her flock. But she figured it'd be a matter of time. She was never able to catch it because it just ran away every time she tried. Animal Control was called, but nothing could be done unless somebody caught it. Other neighbors were also familiar with this nuisance mutt but still no info on who it belonged to, or if it was a dumped stray.

Last week or so she caught it trying to catch one her newborn kids (she shows goats). She finally grabbed her rifle and SSS'd it.

It had a collar, but just a county tag. No owner information. She buried it in the far back lot.

She says a mother and her son (8 year old?) came around tonight with a flyer with it's picture on it asking if she had seen their dog.
he.gif

She says they are neighbors from down the road a-ways, and she's never met them before now.

She took the flyer and said she'd keep an eye out, but called me and bawled her eyes out. She wants to call them up and confess everything because she hated lying to that poor child. But she's afraid of a legal consequences.

I told her to keep quiet. The dog is dead and it's not coming back. There is no news here that could comfort that boy who's wondering what happened to his dog. I had to reassure her over and over that she did the responsible and right thing protecting her animals. She tried her best to keep her animals safe otherwise.

I'm just rather distraught and furious right now because I really feel for her and the dog. How DARE these people give a darn NOW about that poor dog?! Where were they when he was running wild in the neighborhood killing livestock? Where were they to put their contact information on his collar? Where were they when the dog needed obedience classes and a good fence to keep him safe?

That poor dog didn't need to die. There didn't need to be a very sad little boy out there wondering where his pet is. My friend doesn't need her heart broken. I'm so furious at that boy's parents for not doing anything before it had to come to this.
somad.gif
rant.gif

Sorry, I'm just blathering, but I needed to vent. I'm a firm believer in SSS'ing if that's what it takes but it I HATE it with every fiber of my being.
he.gif
barnie.gif

Last edited:
hugs.gif

I feel just like you do. I have dogs now, and have had dogs that jumped fences years ago. I lost one to a speeding BIG SUV. It was my fault. I feel like this is kind of the same situation. Perhaps those people will learn from their mysterious loss.

That dog is in doggie heaven where the streets are made of cheese and jerky. It's really ok.

I'm with you. Sad that the dog never got a chance at a proper life, cared for by a family that took care of him. Sad that the kid never learned from his parents how to care for an animal. Sad for the chickens killed by the dog. Many missed opportunities for what could have been done better all around. With luck the family will learn and if they get the kid a new puppy they'll try harder . . . or with luck they won't get the kid another puppy they can't care for properly. Worst case, they get him another puppy and the cycle starts over. Fingers crossed it's one of the first two.

What a shame all the way around. Your friend did what she felt she had to do. Best not to let the child know the details in this situation. Time will heel all the hurt, and sorrow. I'm glad she has you for support, I can't imagine how bad she feels. Also, as mentioned before, I hope that lessons are learned from this on the part of the parents of the child.

I am sorry for your friend the chickens and the dog:hitThis brings a question to my mind I guess what I was wondering if your friend lives in the city or rual? the reason I ask this is the city close to us is considering alowing chickens and I was really really excited for them because I love my chickens but I have no neighbor dogs to worry about but alot of critters. But reading about dogs killing chickens I am not not sure if this is a good idea. What experince has others have that live in the city and have neighbor dogs?
hu.gif

Quote:
You MUST, MUST, MUST have a good chain-link or privacy fence if you don't want a nasty surprise, a constant worry/battle, or a horrible experience. It's better not to start until you have that taken care of.

ETA That is to say, if the woman in question had adequate fencing, this situation wouldn't have occurred. There aren't issues if the strays can't get in. In rural situations, fencing around one's perimeter isn't feasible necessarily, but I feel that a cattle panel perimeter on 4x4" posts is a great way to prevent charging dogs/coyotes. If you can only afford to get one panel at a time, great, start with a small pen, but don't put your birds in harm's way by jumping the gun.

Last edited:
I really agree with you on this. I have 1 acre of our land chain linked and I still don't let my chickens out unsupervised when they are out ranging. My experience in the city (when we lived in the city) and neighbor dogs hadn't been a great one. Neighbor dog went under and thru a fence and got my small dog. Then it jumped over the fence and kept us prisoner in our house until the neighbor retrived him. He was brought to the city because he killed calves so I was wondering if this is a rare thing that happens in the city or do rual areas have the same problem.

Quote:
We've never had any other dogs in our yard except once when a dog 2 yards down was escaping the abusive owners I'd reported a few times. I took it to a no-kill shelter in the next county...

I never hear of any attacks in fenced areas, so I think yours was a rare occurrence.

Bad deal. All the way around. When it comes to lying, in for a little, in for a lot.

Neighbor shot my dog once. For killing some carrots in his garden. After watching me search for days on end his wife finally fessed up. I appreciated it. Knowing.

Get in touch with the dog owner and tell her you asked around. Either tell her someone saw the dog dead in the road, or tell her a nice looking family with a couple of kids in a big sedan lured the dog in and they drove off happily ever after. I don't know which story would go over better with an 8 year old kid. On second thought, tell her the dog is dead. That's real closure. And maybe next time they get a dog they will take better care of it.

And maybe trigger happy could have put some dog food out to help out a stray mutt... dogs are people too.

Your friend did the right thing. When an animal (not a person - dogs are NOT people) is on YOUR property killing your animals or destroying your property or acting aggressively toward you, you have EVERY right to dispose of it. It's too bad that the mom of the 8 year old didn't keep the dog under control. It was HER responsibility, she didn't take it, dog is gone. Period. I feel bad for the kid, but maybe Mom will be a little more careful next time. I guess I would like to know if my dog was dead and not worry about it starving to death or being injured somewhere, but it's your friend's decision. I would have SSS'd the dog, too. Not sure how I would have handled the mom and boy looking for it - maybe gotten her phone number and called her later to tell her without the child there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom