Baby Chick can't walk or stand up

EllieLovesChickens

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2017
Hey y'all! I have had a few chicken eggs hatch about two days ago and one of them is unable to stand up or walk since the moment it was born. It took him way too long to get out of the egg and when he was left with just a tiny piece of the eggshell I removed it carefully. Could that be the cause for his feet?? His one foot is making him incapable of standing up. He can move it but seems like it turns kinda inwards.. He doesn't really eat anything just a couple pecks. I give him water with vitamins and sugar using a syringe and sometimes put some of his food in his mouth while having it mixed with some water to be easier to swallow. I have him in his own in the incubator while the others are in the brooder. He does feel lonely but once I place him with them they start pecking on his foot probably because they think it looks weird... Should I cull it and if yes, how so that he has minimal pain??? I tried the bandage thing but it didn't really work out. Sorry for my bad English. Please help me. Ellie

Sorry about your chick, but chicks who cannot stand, or eat and drink on their own usually do not live. Dipping the chick's beak into water with electrolytes and offering ground chick feed could be useful to give it a chance. Chick chairs may be helpful to get the chick upright, and place food and water within it's reach. Google chick chairs, and you will see many easy to fashion ones people have designed. I hope your chick survives, but sometimes brain damage prevents them from surviving.

Sorry about your chick, but chicks who cannot stand, or eat and drink on their own usually do not live. Dipping the chick's beak into water with electrolytes and offering ground chick feed could be useful to give it a chance. Chick chairs may be helpful to get the chick upright, and place food and water within it's reach. Google chick chairs, and you will see many easy to fashion ones people have designed. I hope your chick survives, but sometimes brain damage prevents them from surviving.
Thank you so much for replying!! Do I maybe have to cull it?? I don't think it could survive among the other chicks... I'm so sad about this little fella. He has a lot fight in him!!

I have had to cull a couple who could never learn to stand or walk in the first few days. Chick vitamins, such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 1 ml daily can be helpful to make it stronger. I usually give them a couple of days to show signs of improvement. Here is a good pic of a chick chair with food and water in front:

6612_chick_chair.jpg

LL

I have had to cull a couple who could never learn to stand or walk in the first few days. Chick vitamins, such as Poultry Cell or NutriDrench 1 ml daily can be helpful to make it stronger. I usually give them a couple of days to show signs of improvement. Here is a good pic of a chick chair with food and water in front:

6612_chick_chair.jpg

LL
Well I needed some answers desperately so I went ahead and posted the same thread in the Raising Chicks compartment of the forum! Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-cant-stand-up-or-walk.1197075/#post-18940241 I have also posted some pictures of my chick there, in case it helps you to give me some more advice if possible at all!! Thanks so much!! Please excuse my bad English!

Back
Top Bottom