Baby Chicks ...mass casualties

Wagnit09

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
I had 14 two week old chicks. About 30 minutes ago, we heard some high pitched peeping and went to investigate. A couple chicks were lying down with their beaks in the bedding. Within minutes, more were looking poor and went into death seizures. In the last 30 minutes, 9 have died, 3 are looking weak, and only 2 are still standing.

I am at a complete loss. Temp is good. They have lots of space. Bedding dry. Poop looks good. Plenty of food and water. Both are clean. Nothing has changed in the environment or nutrition. No indicators of anything amiss.

Any idea what may have happened? Suggestions to help prevent this in the future? Suggestions to help the sickly ones and save the healthy ones? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 15216636387771989409568.jpg
    15216636387771989409568.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 47
Red lamp for heat source. Yes, it is in the kitchen/dinning room; located on the far side.

The oven was turned on about an hour before the chicks exhibited issues. Not sure how much it impacted things as I've been cooking and baking regularly since we first got the chicks. We also have carbon monoxide and propane alarms in the vicinity in case of a leak or elevated levels.

But what about Teflon cookware? Do you use it, and were you using it ....high temperature causes it to gas off. And do you still have the packaging for the heat bulb? Danger would be "shatter resistant"...
btw, welcome to BYC, sorry it had to start this way, good luck, let us know!
Sue

Was baking today. No teflon though. I've used both teflon coated and nonteflon over the last couple weeks regularly with no issue. Not to say it couldn't start now, I guess.

I don't have the packaging for the bulb anymore. It was the recommended red lamp bulb purchased from the feed store. Bought it 2 weeks ago, just a couple days before we bought the chicks.

I don't have the packaging for the bulb anymore. It was the recommended red lamp bulb purchased from the feed store. Bought it 2 weeks ago, just a couple days before we bought the chicks.
it would say shatter-resistant, extra tough or something along those lines, its probably ok if its from the feed store just double check to be sure

i would also start amprolium its very effective and certainly wont hurt them

what are you feeding?

it would say shatter-resistant, extra tough or something along those lines, its probably ok if its from the feed store just double check to be sure

i would also start amprolium its very effective and certainly wont hurt them

what are you feeding?

Medicated chick starter. ...believe it is Purina medicated start & grow.

Back
Top Bottom