rkervell

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2016
Hello! I had recently posted about my khaki Campbell and Muscovy mating. I hadn’t seen any eggs from my khaki female for a while but stumbled upon a large stash today. There are two eggs with areas that look dark inside. Could these be fertilized eggs with baby ducks? This is my first year with a pair that performed the mating act so I have no clue if these two eggs are rotten or if a living being is growing inside. Please take a look at the picture and give me your thoughts. Thanks in advance!!

The eggs in question are in the lower right portion and upper right portion of the photograph.

Attachments

• CC02AF93-BA82-4FB2-BA77-C738F0F42BEF.jpeg
    CC02AF93-BA82-4FB2-BA77-C738F0F42BEF.jpeg
    934.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 5A83E7F9-683A-477A-8BB7-59C521CE1435.jpeg
    5A83E7F9-683A-477A-8BB7-59C521CE1435.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 13
Has the girl been setting on them? My guess is they are stinkers—but you can't be sure without smelling and/or candling them. If you do pick them up be very very careful as stinkers can and do explode. If they are stinkers you won't have any doubts.
Yes, she was sitting on them this morning. I couldn't find her and when I came out to give them feed, she quacked and emerged from her secret laying spot. If they are rotten, will I be able to easily tell by simply smelling the shell?

Yes, she was sitting on them this morning. I couldn't find her and when I came out to give them feed, she quacked and emerged from her secret laying spot. If they are rotten, will I be able to easily tell by simply smelling the shell?
Oh yes. If she has been setting on them, I'd candle them if they don't stink.

Oh yes. If she has been setting on them, I'd candle them if they don't stink.
I will definitely give them a smell and candle them if not stinky. The drake has also been "guarding" the secret laying area. I don't know if they means anything or not?

Back
Top Bottom