bald spot on my ducks back

aaronmg

Chirping
Jul 25, 2021
hey, so i noticed when my duck was having a bath that she has a really big bald spot underneath her wings, i've not noticed it before as that area of her isn't exposed as its normally covered, it doesn't look like its bleeding and doesn't have a scab, but as always im worried

does your flock have any drakes?
yes i have 1 campbell drake to 4 hens, who always chases down one specific cayuga duck (not the one pictures), but all the feathers on their head and neck are fully present so I never suspected it could be from mating? I sprayed some vetrycin over the area just in case, im just worried about whats caused it

yes i have 1 campbell drake to 4 hens, who always chases down one specific cayuga duck (not the one pictures), but all the feathers on their head and neck are fully present so I never suspected it could be from mating? I sprayed some vetrycin over the area just in case, im just worried about whats caused it
I was going to ask about drake. You’re right by looking at head/neck that is usually where the males hold onto but this could be a possibility.

Do you know when the last time she molted was? She could be in the process now

They can also loose feathers on their backs as well from mating. Usually it is on the shoulders where the drake puts his feet. One of my females has had missing feathers on her shoulder but not her neck from mating. So it is not always the neck. My drake is not the best at balancing. That is what personally looks like is happening to me.

That spot doesn't quite make sense for molting. They don't usually loose feathers in that spot during this time, but it is always possible. Either way the feathers should grow back.

You can also look over her for mites, but those are not common in ducks, because bathing in water protects them from mites. It is harder to see mites on darker feathers. I don't think that is what is going on, but worth a look.

i was going to say molting, but i don't Know.

Back
Top Bottom