Banning fur...

Quote:
X2
I have yet to hear an argument against fur that makes logical sense. I was on a different forum, and someone said he kept rabbits for meat and fur. No one batted an eye at using the meat, but he was getting death threats because of the fur. I just don't get what the difference is. And, although I'm not an expert on this, what about the environmental impact of everyone using synthetic coats? How many hundred years of sitting in a landfill is it going to take for a plastic coat to decompose? And what does plastic decompose into, anyways? Oh well, I'm getting off topic.

so they would rather you waste the fur?

Ok so I have a coat, and bags, and shoes made with fur. These are not store bought they are hand made from the left over pelts of people's dinner.

People freak when they see the knife handles and jewelry i have made out of bone, hide, teeth, and horns of animals that we have harvested.

Why should I let these things go to waste? A good bone handle knife is cool and comforting in the hand and easy to replace if the bone breaks.

The bone and teeth are easily carved to make beautiful custom beads.

When rehabing wild animals I often used gently tanned furs a s bedding for the baby animals to cuddle up to. if the animal died I would wrap it in the skin I had it lay on and bury them together. It is all biodegradable and nourishes the earth.

Why would I not save deer tendons to wax and use as sinew in my traditional basketry?

how is that more offensive than my sturdy american made logging boots hand sewed with tough leather?

Ah but they are celebrities who think we give a rat what they say. Makes me want to go buy a leather suit with fluffy rabbit fur trim.

Quite often in things like this, the less someone knows about what really goes on, the more strongly they believe. I can think of a few threads on here where some people are horrified about certain animal husbandry practices that actually make the animals lives better.

while I understand and admire people who make an effort not to harm any animal, vegan or vegetarian, no animal made products or wearing products where the animal was harmed, I simply do not understand the stance some people take where it is ok to wear leather but not fur.

I am leery of wearing fur made form animals killed specifically for their pelt and the rest of the body wasted.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

with gator shoes!

I feel that if an animal is killed as much as possible should be used. This thread makes me think of Prop 6 (1998 I think) on the sale and transport of horses for slaughter for human consumption. This law has left so many people with no way to get rid of unwanted horses. I do agree the transportation and slaughtering methods could be improved to be more humane but find the whole prop 6 to be stupid. I mean now the owner has to pay for a vet to come out and kill the horse that because of today's economy can't even be given away. Then the owner pays to have the body hauled off. The body is then sold by the person who hauled it off and it processed with (very little being wasted) for use in pet food and MANY items that people use. How is this better than selling it to be used as food? As for the ones who are really extreme, do they not think about the environmental impact of all of the synthetic items that they use. It is polluting the the environment. So yeah they may not eat the "poor defenseless animals" but they sure poisoning them to death! How is that any better than those of us who use the whole animal?

Sorry if this has all been said before. The reason why some people get upset about fur and not leather is that many of the furs that are used for coats, etc, come from animals that are used for no other purpose and wasted. Leather is a by product of beef consumption as is down a by product of waterfowl consumption (usually). Sheepskin is a by product of eating lamb or sheep.

Wool, however, comes from living animals who would overheat if they were not sheared.

Back
Top Bottom