Bantam rooster face purple?

Pumpkin the rooster

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2018
About 2 days ago I went to check my chickens, and I noticed on my bantam roo that his face had the slightest blue tint, it was hardly noticeable, I just thought he got scared or something and his face will go back to normal, I came to check on him again today, and his face is purple! Not entirely but you can surely notice the purple. He is displaying no symptoms, he is still crazy as normal , crowing every morning, and flying about. What could this be? He is a Black maran bantam rooster.
20180227_170812.jpg
(the quality of my camera doesn't show the color if his face well)

Attachments

• 20180227_170812.jpg
    20180227_170812.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180227_170814.jpg
    20180227_170814.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 4
What are your temperatures where you live? If they've been on the cold side, his body may be reacting to the cold by drawing heat away from his extremities, causing a slight bluing of his facial skin. It could spread to the comb. This is of little concern as long as it doesn't get way below freezing with high humidity and no air movement. If those conditions are present, this little guy is indicating he could be a candidate for frostbite.

If his behavior changes and he becomes lethargic, and you hear rattles as he breathes, then you are looking at a pulmonary issue if you see bluish comb and wattles, and facial tissue.

Absent any behavior changes, you needn't be too concerned.

I think that Heart failure only occurs when the chicken is growing so fast and getting so large the heart can't handle it, but my roo is tiny and, well only a little fat. Today he was able to fly up on my porch, which is like 10 feet in the air! He is still very active as normal

i wouldn't worry about it like the others have said. i have a BO hen that has had her face tinted purple a couple of times which is why her name is violet. i live in pr so i know it's not the cold and she never got sick while having a purple face. it will most likely go back to normal in the next few days or a week or even by tomorrow.

It's possible he could have a genetic heart problem. But his behavior would tell you he's sick if he was. An isolated symptom without the corresponding behavior is really no cause for concern except to keep watch for changes in behavior.

I would not worry and just enjoy the little gentleman.

Back
Top Bottom