Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Quote:
But finally it's not possible to freezing genetic.
Just think about the epigenetic of feed - over generations
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1440782/
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/nutrition/
http://www.gsejournal.org/content/pdf/1297-9686-45-16.pdf
If You imagine, what happened already evolutionary in human world, what will happen if You use breeding programmes. Just think about all these colour mutations, which came up in the last decades. And think about the change of feeding, e.g. animal meal, or soy meal. So ... can You really expect, that nothing will change? Another question is e.g. since when have the Marans the colour grade of today? Since 1920 or rather since 1990?

That's what they had in the 1930 in the double laced Barnevelder - at least in UK - the country of origin for show breeding.
Such birds have been probably shown in the Crystal Palace.
I doubt, that they looked better in the Netherlands to that time.
According to Mes Klomp they had still "the primary goal of maintaining the utility aspects of the Barnevelder ."

Unlike Marans eggs, my Barnevelder eggs do not change color (that I can see, anyway, if they do it's very minimal). I thought that was one of the differences (other than the shade of brown,etc.) between Barnevelder eggs and Marans eggs, that the Barnie eggs were consistent in their color, whereas the Marans eggs fade. I have had my Barnevelders for 5 years and have not noticed fading. Every hen lays a different shade of brown egg but each one is pretty consistent in the color and shape of her specific egg.

Standard laced Barnevelder cockerels for sale. 11 months old. Located in Central Florida. $25 each

I have 2 Blue Barnevelders pullets. I have some friendly cuddley chickens but these have a unusual personality and I was wondering if it is a Barnevelder trait. They are very agressive cuddlers. They will climb all over me. Peck me until I pet or hold them. They want to sleep with me. Escaping to get into bed with me. It's funny but hard to sleep. Love them but curious.

Just stopped in to give a few examples of progress. This years breeding flock is really showing some promise sold off all the blue and going old school. It's hard to believe just a couple of years ago I started out with 5 dollar picked over pullets and cockerels. Hoping to focus now a little more on the utility and a bit of egg color. Just here to work on the preservation and improvement of the breed. I'm not here for kudos atta-boys or accolades only to share my progress. No they are not perfect but certainly a step in the right direction and here to share with anyone who cares about the breed. Best wishes !

OK, this is from a chicken newbie. How do you "work" on egg color when most of the eggs a just a light brown color?

Do you introduce a different breed? or try to find dark eggs and keep those and breed the parents together?

First choice is to find a breeder with a dark egger strain of the same breed/colour (That's the way I got my scottish Welsumer). Second choice would be Marans or Welsumer.
I my case I want to use Marans with as dark as possible eggs to improve my Barnevelder, they promise faster success than to work with my Welsumer.

Back
Top Bottom