Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Pics
I think they look good, but I'm very new to Barnevelders. There are so many outcrosses happening that I like the honesty of seeing a pure Barnevelder, whatever the problems they bring with them.

While we are getting honest opinions....

here are my two birds. I did not breed them. They are my first Barnies, and are hatchery birds. One of them seems almost tolerable. The other has a lot of brown (red?) in the neck. I didn't see them as chicks, so don't know about whether they had a V on their heads or not. I bought them as 12-wk started pullets. They are now 22 weeks old.
My favorite...
18671_pict4588.jpg

my less favorite...
18671_pict4587.jpg

Quote:
the second pullet is a little wheatony(?) and really heavily chipmunk patterned around her throat, possibly she will be better next spring. the first pullet doesn't look bad, maybe slightly irregular lacing pattern but she may molt into something better.

Last edited:
()relics :

Quote:
the second pullet is a little wheatony(?) and really heavily chipmunk patterned around her throat, possibly she will be better next spring. the first pullet doesn't look bad, maybe slightly irregular lacing pattern but she may molt into something better.

thanks for taking the time to look at them. do you think these are likely to be crosses of some sort, or do they look to be actual Barnevelders? They aren't laying yet, so the egg color is still a mystery.​

Since I had some snapshots I thought I would do what I usually hate to do and take the time to edit and upload. (I just hate waiting)

These are my Bantam Barnies. They kept running about and that day I wasn't trying to get award winning photos... a storm came about 10 mintues later and hind-sight... I thikn that is what they were freaking out about a little. It was a bad one.

Anywho.... I put the fence there for size comparison..... enjoy. Please excuse the mess.
wink.png

47639_bantambarnieflock3.jpg

47639_bantambarnieflock2.jpg

And here is a good shot of one of the hen's back... it's in their run.

47639_barniehen.jpg

I agree. Beautiful birds, everyone! I can't wait to get a nice little flock of good quality Barnevelders going.
smile.png

I'm working on a short write-up for an educational petting zoo that is showcasing different breeds of chickens. Does anyone know when, how, why the barnevelder came to America?
I thought I'd read it came back with soldiers following WWI, but I can not put my finger back on that webpage for reference, if it were even true to begin with.
So far I have they originated in the Dutch Netherlands and are so popular there the name is synonymous for "chicken". Of course, I'm going to mention their friendliness, what great pets they make and the unique egg color.
Can anyone help me here?
Thanks,
Kelli

relics~

Do you by chance have or can you get a photo of the breast, particularly the females??

They look great.....your gals lacing looks great!

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom