Barred Rock Cockerel, Zane...Updates

I've been following your postings on Zane. Perhaps now that the infection and crud appears to be purged from his leg, giving him some supplements to increase circulation might help with the foot. Just a thought. Stuff may have stagnated in his foot from the break in his hock. Also massaging his good foot and leg may help the circulation in the bad one, acupressure benefits in alternative to acupuncture.

You know exactly what I mean, Lee. Pens never dry out and they start to smell, no matter what you do. I hate it! Already, today, we've had rain and now sun and in a while, I'm sure I'll start hearing thunder again.
Michele, I need to buy some DMSO linament, to increase circulation. We ran out.
hmm.png

Cyn, a bit of cayenne pepper should increase circulation too, mixed with a little olive oil or in a beeswax base. Might help until you can pick up some more liniment.

Morning Cyn just wanted to check on ya all. Hope this finds you and yours happy and healthy. Still saying prayers, have ya seen your Dad. Is Zane still flirting. Prayers from MI

Dad is getting fitted for his prosthesis this week, doing therapy two or three times a week, etc. Seems to be doing okay.
Zane is about the same, maybe a little better on his feet. He took a real dustbath the other day, using his bad leg to scratch dirt, and he was talking to himself the whole time, LOL. The foot still doesn't seem to have any feeling. He uses it like a footed cane, no bending the toes. He sure likes to flirt with the girls, and the only one I allow in the pen with him on occasion is Gypsy, Charlotte's daughter. She squats for him, he grabs her, then looks so puzzled when he cant follow through, poor guy. I think the girls would respect him if he could ever get back with the flock. Time is what he needs, I guess. Just wish how much chance there was of getting the full use of that leg back. Cant wait to see him standing without using one wing to prop himself.

Edited because I typed too fast and left out words, LOL.

Last edited:
Specks - I have a red sex link with a leg/foot problem, no infection that I can see, but she's doing alot of the same things as your Zane. Using her wing to get leverage and limping and ALOT of just sitting on the ground and pecking at dirt.
hmm.png

I guess she injured herself flying down from a tall roost and landed wrong. She has no visible injuries from what I can see.

I'm also hoping to see her scratch around in the dirt again with her buddies. I hope your Zane gets better soon. He sounds like a trooper.
smile.png

Sure hope your girl heals up, too. It's been a long road for Zane. I have one of my PoufyHead Sisters limping, too, but I'm sure she just sprained her leg. Sometimes they just land wrong off the roost bars or from wherever they're jumping or running from a bully.

Back
Top Bottom