Bear got our chickens :(

The voltage for the fencing is variable...Depending on where it is in the cycle, the current could be low kinda like when you touch your tongue to a 9volt battery to see if it's good...Other times, it is quite the jolt. I have had the misfortune to touch it with my elbow when scooping treats over the fence without turning it off and got quite the shock. The bowl went up in the air, I screamed like a girl (haha, I am a girl)...The chickens went running away from me, the food flew threw the air, typing this now is actually making me laugh!!!
The chickens will learn. All of mine have experienced touching it at least once and now they know. I paid something like $400 for my whole setup, which is one length of 164' fencing, 39" gate, extra poles and the energizer... I bought from www.maxflex.com, I think I typed the wrong email in the previous post (I can't see on this page while typing). Best investment we made for our girls, after buying a custom coup built locally... Anyway......

Sorry about your birds. No bears here. In Yosemite from time to time someone leaves a cooler visible in their car....the bears peel open the car doors like we open a sardine can. Would be very difficult to keep a bear out if it really wanted in, construction wise. They're just too powerful. Occasionally someone gets killed by a deer as well, rare, but it does happen. They're not always as docile as you might think. Of course an unthinking human is the cause of these incidents.

nice. we made our coop ourselves...started with cedar after reading that the arsenic etc. in pt wood could harm the birds, then halfway through the project (and ~$400 in) we read it wasn't that big of a deal...It's not going to win any beauty contests and its by no means plumb or square (though it is pretty level...) but it is definitely solid and sturdy.

The only thing keeping me from buying the fence right this minute is that the coop is probably 7' tall and is only +-1' away from a 6' high fence that separates our property from the lot where the coons live...they'll soon figure out how to avoid the fence and just jump to the roof of the coop to get into the run...my idea was to find those pin things that people place on flat surfaces of buildings so pigeons etc. can't roost there...?

Back
Top Bottom