Beautiful autumn in southern Oklahoma! (pic heavy)

farmgirl7

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hanging into Texas
I love where I live and autumn is my favorite time of year. We have two farms that equal 180 acres and raise hay and cattle. After I retired from a hospital lab, I thought I was going to finally have time to do more quilting (which I love), but in late April we purchased 6 little brown leg horns. My life has been changed! They were in a large box in my laundry room for about 2 months, then we put up what my husband calls our "China" coop and run. They out grew that, so my husband, with his trusty tractor, brought an 8 ft X 8 ft shed from up on the hill and placed it in our backyard. We had to practically re-build this to make it safe for the chickens. The run is 12 ft X 15 ft and completely covered with bird netting on top. The rest is hard cloth. The ladies are finally starting to lay and I'm averaging 4 eggs per day. Here are some pictures of our journey!
Sorry, the first pic is turned wrong...

The "China" coop and run

Getting close! Small first egg!

My husband plants winter wheat for his cattle, so I talked him into saving the bottom of a sack to plant a garden for our chickens, who have annihilated the grass in the pen.

Pictures of fall flowers on our farm.

Aren't these just the most beautiful creatures! That's Belle with her perfect comb in front on the left picture.
2 eggs and the "helper". Every time I knock the wooden ball out, it finds its way back in! Sort of like a teddy bear or a pacifier, so I just leave it. The run is just to the right of the beautiful sunset picture.

Hope you've enjoyed my pictures! Thank you for looking!

Wow, your pictures are so pretty! Autumn is my favorite time of year too, especially when all the trees change color. Your chickens are beautiful!

Thanks, Sunflour and ChickenPeep. I live in southern Oklahoma and we are beginning to have a few cool snaps (heard Georgia even had some snow). The leaves have not completely turned yet, but expect it soon. The grass is dying out. The hens are coming down on egg production. I'll get 4 one day and 2 the next day. I have two that aren't laying yet and I'm afraid they aren't going to get started before cold weather. I've heard this may be a rough winter....the gopher mounds are larger than I've ever seen them. There's a window on the south side of the coop that I need to build a sliding cover for.

Thanks, Sunflour and ChickenPeep. I live in southern Oklahoma and we are beginning to have a few cool snaps (heard Georgia even had some snow). The leaves have not completely turned yet, but expect it soon. The grass is dying out. The hens are coming down on egg production. I'll get 4 one day and 2 the next day. I have two that aren't laying yet and I'm afraid they aren't going to get started before cold weather. I've heard this may be a rough winter....the gopher mounds are larger than I've ever seen them. There's a window on the south side of the coop that I need to build a sliding cover for.
I overheard a lady at grocery store Friday telling someone there was snow in Macon last nite….didn't happen. But low tonite is gonna be 26, low for us! If snow, it was in North GA. We have no gophers here, but will be happy to ship ya some chipmunks if you want them. They ate almost all my pole beans this past summer!

love.gif
Just beautiful! Chickens are just the best, aren't they? Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom