Best Broody types?

DURR

Songster
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Screven, GA, US
Ok so when I buy chicks this spring I was wanting to purchase a few of a breed that have the better chance of going broody. So if anyone could tell me what breeds to look into for what I want please let me know! :)

What kind of bird do you want? Bantams or Largefowl? Dual-Purpose, Gamefowl, or fluffy pets? Hatchery or Breeder?

Most bantams will go broody, and make excellent mothers. Some of the best are Old English, Silkies, Cochins, D'Uccles, and Brahmas.

Gamefowl are the most intelligent mothers. They are very protective of their young, and will train them to forage and survive well. However, they usually don't adopt chicks, and they do not want outside involvement (meaning humans).

Asiatics are the kindest, and stupidest mothers. They will sit on anything, but don't be surprised if they squash or loose their young. If you intend to free-range your hen and chicks, they are not the best option.

Heritage fowl also make good mothers. They will sit on their young, some will adopt, tolerate you, and they will have their chicks outside learning to survive. However, where you buy your heritage stock is important. Most heritage stock from breeders will brood, but not all hatchery fowl will. Oftentimes, hatchery birds such as the Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Australorp, Orpington, and Wyandotte have been bred for production, and no longer brood.

I'm just wanting something that will sit on eggs and hatch them for me due to limited incubator space. She will be kept with a rooster once she starts to lay and as soon as she goes broody he will be removed and she'll be used as a bator lol and kept in with my younger birds. So something that is calm ans easy going would be prefered. Size doesn't matter.

Silkies are generally considered to be the best broodies, but that means lay a clutch, sit for 21 days, raise the chicks, repeat...:) I that's what you want they're great! Cochin bantams are also popular, and Japanese's are *supposed* to be good broodies, though mine never has.

Yea I want to try to be able to have chicks year round. I want my chicken "obsession" to be a profitable benifit in any way possible. Just so that I can convince the hubby to let me get into them like I want! Haha. What would be the cheapest way to go for broody type?

Back
Top Bottom