Birdwatching Chat Thread

Pics
Birds need water in winter too . I didn't realize birds were so thirsty in the winter
To see some neat pics i placed a terracotta saucer of water on a fence post with a trail camera near by . They prefer their water to be elevated for safety .

In freezing weather i heat a insulated gallon container of water , set it on the post with the saucer on top keeping their water thawed for a few A M hours .

Attachments

• Bird Trail cam Bluebird in flight ll - 2-6-18.jpg
    Bird Trail cam Bluebird in flight ll - 2-6-18.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Bird Trail woodpecker Red Belly - lll -.jpg
    Bird Trail woodpecker Red Belly - lll -.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Bird Cedar Waxwings trail cam - 4-15-18-.jpg
    Bird Cedar Waxwings trail cam - 4-15-18-.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Bird Trail cam Towhee rear view-2-6-18.jpg
    Bird Trail cam Towhee rear view-2-6-18.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 4
A winter watering hole for birds of about any bird you have that winters at your place .

This is the bottom of a 9 ft. diameter cattle stock tank overturned for the winter . A elevated water hole to drink and bathe in . They seem to appreciate the dead tree limb as a dry perch .
1664112131343.jpeg
1664112178650.jpeg

Guess who's here! The starlings! In winter they form flocks of thousands of birds, and fly in formation. I've also seen more flickers than usual, sadly no pictures, as they're very shy. But here's a White-crowned Sparrow who was happy to pose!
DSC00242.jpeg

I also saw an American Kestrel, the first I've ever seen here! We mostly have Sharp-shinned or Cooper's hawks.

View attachment 3272086Except for color the White Crowned Sparrow looks very similar to our Lark Sparrow .

And the American Kestrel , I've determined is the worst for getting a photo of without long range equipment .
Cute! I did get a picture of the Kestrel, but it looks like a speck, lol. It was just good enough to get a positive ID. Cropped, a lot, it looks like this:
DSC00229.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom