Bite Wound, panting, loose skin

clamccauley

Songster
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
I THINK my 3 month old hen may have been nipped by our dog. I'm not 100% that's what happened, but 24 hours ago she was just standing in the same spot and didn't seem herself. I found 2-3 small wounds on her left leg that were not deep or bleeding, but had light traces of blood around the feathers. Her leg seemed tender to the touch and her foot was a very light green. (Bruising?) My dog does not ever mess with the hens, but the wounds were not deep and on opposite sides of the leg making me think teeth. I washed it and treated with antibiotic cream. She hopped up on a lower perch before I had a chance to get to her so I watched her for a minute before moving her to a smaller pen where she wouldn't have to jump down in the morning.

She has a golf ball size place of seemingly loose skin almost between her legs. Up just a bit towards her crop....but closer to be tween her legs than on her chest. She has been pecking at the feathers around that area causing them to stand out a little so I didn't notice at first. When I touched it, it seemed "empty." Like stretched skin. Theres no puncture would anywhere on this area but when I messed with it, she would kind of "scratch" at it with her beak. She was also panting off and on while I was watching her and it's a cool evening.

I'm not too worried about the wound, and will watch it for infection, but what about the loose skin and panting? Related possibly? I can't figure out what else to look for to make sure she's not hurt more tan I realize and healing properly. She's eating and drinking fin. She's getting around OK, but slowly today and stops to rest her foot often.

Should I be concerned about the loose skin or panting?

Could you post a few pictures of this loose skin area?

Back
Top Bottom