Black australorp hen or roo?

BA, hen or roo... 4-5 weeks??

• Any

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Any

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Still looks like a pullet to me! :) No expertise here though, just practicing to learn all I can. :old The tail doesn't have pointy feathers although those won't come in until maybe 10 weeks or later depending on breed. Also the tail looks nice and tight not loose and flowing. As well, the girls get what I call a "hen bump" on their saddle area, where as they boys in my experience the saddle tends to lay a little flatter and spread around the tail and hang down. Verses the hen bump essentially becomes part of the tail visually. Even though the waddles are a little pink, they are still small and the comb is still flesh colored. :fl

Here's to nine weeks! It's actually become my favorite friendliest one, so crossies for
IMAG1314.jpg
pullet!

I think pullet. I don't see any sickle feathers, pointy long feathers on the backs of roosters, or droopy tail feathers.

I think pullet. I don't see any sickle feathers, pointy long feathers on the backs of roosters, or droopy tail feathers.

Would they have the droopy tail feathers at 9.5 weeks? There's definitely a red tone to the comb and tiny wattle, but hope that normal in a girl too at this age! I wish I could find a photo of a male to compare! THANKS ALL :)

If they have as much feathers as this (probably) pullet, then yes. They would have droopy feathers. I had some cockerels who were this age and they were roosters 100% because of their sickle feathers and droopy tail feathers. I am 100% sure that this chicken is a pullet. Happy eggs!

Would they have the droopy tail feathers at 9.5 weeks? There's definitely a red tone to the comb and tiny wattle, but hope that normal in a girl too at this age! I wish I could find a photo of a male to compare! THANKS ALL :)

No, IMO they would not have pointy saddle feathers yet. Depending on breed most of my boys don't start showing those traits until after 10 weeks old, closer to 12 for many. All of my girls start to get some pink by this age I noticed with this years broods. Your girl looks a little pink, as expected... but she is not even close to the red I see in boys. :old I actually don't see any boy indicators at all... You should STOP worrying and start counting down the weeks until she lays you some pretty eggs, Celebrate!! :bun

Back
Top Bottom