Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Any

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

mythreegirls

In the Brooder
May 3, 2016
Clarence, NY
Hi, kind of newbie here...my 2 beloved pet hens were killed off during winter in an instant, never free range in Winter! Anyway I decided to try again...can't live without those silly things! I have 3 now but wondering if the BA may be a roo, which I can't own in my neighborhood.... anyone?? It is 4.5 weeks old and hates to be held! Also gas a super long tail.

Attachments

• IMAG1132_1.jpg
    IMAG1132_1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG1142.jpg
    IMAG1142.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG1056_1.jpg
    IMAG1056_1.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 83
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sometimes they hate to be held because their pin feathers hurt a little. The boys tend to be more looking at you all the time and always watching what you are doing. They are *usually* more confident and easier to approach as chicks in my experience.

Too early for me to tell without seeing behavior and all. But nice long tails early isn't an indicater of cockerel... actually every now and then I get a chick that has NO tail show up for a while and those are ALWAYS boys! The short tail has never lied to me yet.

I have 2 Australorp pullets that both had me wondering by waddles and combs if they were cockerels. Alas both were not. Yay!

Give it time and post again in a couple more weeks. Behavior is a good indicater. Young cockerels will often run around pecking brood mates to set dominance early on.

I am sorry for the loss of your girls. :( What was it about winter that made them gone in an instant if you don't mind sharing, I might learn something. Thank you

Come on pullet! :fl

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sometimes they hate to be held because their pin feathers hurt a little. The boys tend to be more looking at you all the time and always watching what you are doing. They are *usually* more confident and easier to approach as chicks in my experience.

Too early for me to tell without seeing behavior and all. But nice long tails early isn't an indicater of cockerel... actually every now and then I get a chick that has NO tail show up for a while and those are ALWAYS boys! The short tail has never lied to me yet.

I have 2 Australorp pullets that both had me wondering by waddles and combs if they were cockerels. Alas both were not. Yay!

Give it time and post again in a couple more weeks. Behavior is a good indicater. Young cockerels will often run around pecking brood mates to set dominance early on.

I am sorry for the loss of your girls. :( What was it about winter that made them gone in an instant if you don't mind sharing, I might learn something. Thank you

Come on pullet! :fl
x2

Thank u both! If anything "Bean" as my daughter named it, is not dominant of the three at all so fingers crossed and I'll repost soon! ....we also have a Brahma and Isabel cuckoo orpington ( Sugar and Bunnie!) ... so to answer your question, my coop and run were Ft. Knox, buried hardware wire etc. I never thought it could happen ...the girls free ranged a lot the whole summer and fall with no problems, but on xmas , I let them out for a bit and when I went to close the run just before dusk, Betty wasn't in the coop and we were frantic, she runs to me like a dog...we found her beheaded on the other side of yard 100 ft away ...fox or cook, still not sure. A week later I began letting her sister out with me there , but all it took was 10 MN I went inside for something, came out and found her dead with a damn Hawk standing right over her at the bottom of my deck stairs! They were great, so tame, but learned hard way you can never be too careful , esp in Winter.

Especially in winter, food is scarce and predators get much bolder. So sorry for your loss.

Nothing is screaming roo in your photos but, I don't believe chickens get their Gender feather till 10-12 weeks of age. Males would have point hackle & saddle feathers. Where as pullets have round feathers.

The head missing wasn't a fox or hawk... predators have very specific things they do. But now I realize your word "cook" was probably meant to be coon, That is probably accurate. I'm pretty sure I lost a chick recently to a raven.

That makes sense that in many areas (not mine) food is scarce in winter. Thank you so much for sharing!

Birds of prey to put me in awe... but having mine on the menu is not part of the plan. I am sorry you had see/experience that. :hugs

BTW ladies, here is updated pics of Bean, my BA now at a full 7 weeks.... still guessing as to the waddle pink color, but hardly a comb, tail quite large too....arrrr!?! Thanks so much for your expertise :)
View attachment 1031416 View attachment 1031416

Still looks like a pullet to me! :) No expertise here though, just practicing to learn all I can. :old The tail doesn't have pointy feathers although those won't come in until maybe 10 weeks or later depending on breed. Also the tail looks nice and tight not loose and flowing. As well, the girls get what I call a "hen bump" on their saddle area, where as they boys in my experience the saddle tends to lay a little flatter and spread around the tail and hang down. Verses the hen bump essentially becomes part of the tail visually. Even though the waddles are a little pink, they are still small and the comb is still flesh colored. :fl

Back
Top Bottom