Black Cochin: Roo or Hen?

Roo or Hen?

• Total voters

Shaycres

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Here is my four month old mystery chick, Gambino. Since it was a mystery chick, I assumed it to be a boy since that's what they usually are. Is that what this one is?
[Also apologies for some of the blurry pics, he wouldn't quit moving and I didn't have time to take any more]
0930190802a.jpg
0930190802c.jpg
0930190803a.jpg
0930190803b.jpg
0930190803f.jpg

S/he's actually even older than that, I should've said four and a half months old, I think s/he's nearing the 20 week mark. That's what had me stumped - the fairly red waffles/combs but lack of any prominent saddle feathers, especially compared to the other roos the same age.
yep it can be tough sometimes, but you definitely have a girl.

I'm currently trying to figure out the genders on my 10 week chicks. I have 2 boys and the rest appear to be girls but if that's the case I need to buy a lotto ticket!

Four months old with that red and large of wattles, I’m going with a boy.

I think I see some pointed saddle and hackle feathers but it’s hard to tell from the pictures. So not completely sure.

Last edited:
S/he's actually even older than that, I should've said four and a half months old, I think s/he's nearing the 20 week mark. That's what had me stumped - the fairly red waffles/combs but lack of any prominent saddle feathers, especially compared to the other roos the same age.

Maybe a pullet then, coming into lay.

And I'm going with pullet.
4 months=16weeks.
Comb and wattles are not huge but small. Which at that age a pullet should start maturing. I don't see any male feathers, they are kinda messy but still when zoomed I don't see any male sex feathers.

pullet who's getting mature and thinking about laying, which is what the comb and wattles indicate. They're smallish, not huge like a cockerels at this age... Does she squat yet?
It's tricky telling on behavior for me. As of now I only really get to see the girls every other weekend because I'm in college. Perhaps this weekend I can watch s/he closely and see if I notice any of that type of behavior.

Back
Top Bottom