Sep 22, 2019
I’m thinking of getting one. I know they are a cross between a barred hen and a Rhode Island rooster. Males have a white spot on the head. What are some of the personality traits? Do the hens alert the flock of danger or protect them? Do they have a tendency to go broody? Do they do good in hot and cold climates. Are they loud. Are they escape artists? What are their purpose, are they good egg layers?

I have 2 black sex link hens both are very good layers they are about 2 years old and have never gone broody. They are very sweet if played with when they were chicks but are a bit dominant in the pecking order.

I have 2 black sex link hens both are very good layers they are about 2 years old and have never gone broody. They are very sweet if played with when they were chicks but are a bit dominant in the pecking order.
Thank you for the information also what do they look like when they grow up I have a week old chicks she’s black and white

Thank you for the information also what do they look like when they grow up I have a week old chicks she’s black and white
BSL females hatch all black and feather in black with varying amounts of red "leakage" centered mainly around the chest
20170807_181109.jpg

Henny Penny, one of many bsl I've had

My Black Stars are excellent layers, laying noticeably more eggs than the Barred Rocks, however they have higher protein requirements than the Barred Rocks and when they don't get it from their feed they will get it from each other, starting with the feathers and going from there. They are certainly more aggressive and energetic than the non-hybrids I keep and get easily bored and stressed in confinement without perfectly adequate accommodations. I would recommend getting a few extra birds of a different breed to get those few extra eggs rather than deal with these more needy super producers.

Back
Top Bottom