Bleeding vent

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017
I have a little seabright chick, under a week old and I noticed that he was a bit more lethargic than the others. I gave him a vitamin suppliment and he lived through the night, but this morning I noticed the was blood around his vent. I dont know whats wrong but If anyone has any advice please let me knoe Asap. Thank you.

Could it have been pecked or injured? What do the poops look like? Did you hatch this chick, get it from a feed store or hatchery? I would be tempted to get Corid and start treatmetn for coccidiosis if it is coming from poop. A week old chick usually does not get symptoms of coccidiosis that early, but it could be possible. When dealing with possibility of coccidiosis, it is safe to treat even if it turns out not to be the problem.

I'm curious as to what kind of heating you are using the brooder. Chicks will peck at red things. If your chick is bleeding, even a tiny bit, the others will peck his vent, making it even bloodier, which encourages more pecking. If you're using a heat lamp for heating, switch your bulb to a red one, which will make everything look reddish to the chicks, and may stop them from pecking at the one red spot on the little sebright's vent.

Could it have been pecked or injured? What do the poops look like? Did you hatch this chick, get it from a feed store or hatchery? I would be tempted to get Corid and start treatmetn for coccidiosis if it is coming from poop. A week old chick usually does not get symptoms of coccidiosis that early, but it could be possible. When dealing with possibility of coccidiosis, it is safe to treat even if it turns out not to be the problem.
The poops look normal theres no blood in them, I got him from a feed store along with three other chicks. I havent noticed them pecking him at all.

I'm curious as to what kind of heating you are using the brooder. Chicks will peck at red things. If your chick is bleeding, even a tiny bit, the others will peck his vent, making it even bloodier, which encourages more pecking. If you're using a heat lamp for heating, switch your bulb to a red one, which will make everything look reddish to the chicks, and may stop them from pecking at the one red spot on the little sebright's vent.
The heat bulb is like an orange color, not quite red though.

Can you open the eye and look at it for any pecking wound or debris in the eye? Saline can be used to rinse the eye, and you can also put a dot of plain antibiotic ointment into the eye. Sometimes if their eyes water, they may become stuck together.

Back
Top Bottom