Blue Crested White Polishes - Genetic Code and Can This Be Bred?

Wild-Turkey

Songster
Nov 9, 2020
Northwestern MT, US
Hello, I recently came across this photo:

and I was wondering how hard this would be to find and breed into a Polish variety. I also really like the thought of bringing barring into a bird like this and getting barred crested white Polishes.

Thinking about the genetics of blue in chickens I was wondering if the blue could be gotten from a slightly more common variety, the black crested white polish. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolishBanty.html (I couldn't get the images to upload for some reason, sorry). I also noticed these varieties were much more common in bantams, and although I like bantams, I'd rather see this in large fowl.

I'm also curious what the genetic code of one of these birds would be.

Thank you

That particular bird looks to be product of a silver laced Polish crossed with something else.

The modern version of the black crested white Polish was created through crosses with Lakenvelders. So it is a matter of getting the blue in there instead of black. Maybe Lakenvelders X blue crested blue Polish.

The dark headed Owl beards would be better to use that Lakenvelders, but I don't know if that breed/variety is present in the United States.

Ohh see they actually aren’t. Well APA ones. Bantam is the most common and LF is not. Hatchery ones are but APA ones are so hard you may not even find one breeder in 10 people.
Never said they all do up to standard breeding, just that they're everywhere. In a place that focuses on meat and eggs first and looks/pets 90th, I can still find 5 people within 2 hours selling white crested blacks

Attachments

• 20210411_105219.jpg
    20210411_105219.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210411_105208.jpg
    20210411_105208.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210411_105154.jpg
    20210411_105154.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 2
Ahh your location must have a lot! I wish there were more APA breeders
I'm breeding towards SOP with my Orpingtons, & Silkies. Soon with my Heritage Plymouth Barred Rocks, which already look really perfect, just one hen has a few half barred feathers, a common flaw.

Back
Top Bottom