Do you have a Border Collie?

• Total voters
We had one border collie. She was wicked smart. She was obsessed with tennis balls, and herding cows, goats, ducks, whatever she could. We loved immensely. She was always going. Only stopping to cool off or take a break.

After we lost her I switched to Australian shepherds. Another wicked smart breed, but with an independent streak and a huge sense of humor. They also are Velcro dogs. They want to be with you. They need to be near you always. Wherever I go, they come too.

They like to try to make you laugh. They like to add their own flair to everything they do. They also enjoy taking it easy. They can leave the work at the door. Our border collie never could.

The downside to Aussies is the thick coat, and the bigger size. My current pup will hopefully be smaller and have less coat. That's the hope. :)

All lovely, if very different breeds.

I have to say, calling a BC "a little intense" is like calling an Indy car "kind of fast". Both belong in professional hands, haha!

But having said that, I think you could handle one
Loving the process of training and providing mental stimulation is the most important thing. Although you do have to make sure to wear them out at least once a day. I mean like to where they come in and nap for a solid hour. But if you can give them what they need, they are awesome. Just be sure to follow through and DO things with her. Anything. Trick trainings great. Forget Cesar Milan (seriously. Like memory-wipe forget) and get some books on training dogs for the movies, set up some agility equipment and enjoy your BC.

Back
Top Bottom