Breed options... oh my!

Kafen

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
British Columbia, Canada
So I’m a newbie when it comes to chickens, but I do love my research! I was wanting to get some suggestions and opinions about the breeds. I have to order 25 chicks minimum, but that’s okay since I know people who want a few and I can easily find homes for laying hens. Here’s the breeds that I’m most drawn to:

- Australorps
- Ameraucanas
- Barred Plymouth Rocks

But I’m also thinking about Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex. It would be easier if I got something that was sex-linked since I wouldn’t have to worry (as much) about cockerels. But I figure I can raise them up in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. As long as I end up with about 10 hens, I’ll be happy.

For me, cold hardiness is a big thing. I’ll be insulating my coop in prep for winter, but they still need to be pretty tough. I also would like bigger, dual purpose type birds. I’d also like something that isn’t white, since they’ll be free ranging some and that’d be just like a beacon.

What do you think of the ones I like? Any other recommendations? I’d love to hear your opinions!

So I’m a newbie when it comes to chickens, but I do love my research! I was wanting to get some suggestions and opinions about the breeds. I have to order 25 chicks minimum, but that’s okay since I know people who want a few and I can easily find homes for laying hens. Here’s the breeds that I’m most drawn to:

- Australorps
- Ameraucanas
- Barred Plymouth Rocks

But I’m also thinking about Orpingtons and Speckled Sussex. It would be easier if I got something that was sex-linked since I wouldn’t have to worry (as much) about cockerels. But I figure I can raise them up in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. As long as I end up with about 10 hens, I’ll be happy.

For me, cold hardiness is a big thing. I’ll be insulating my coop in prep for winter, but they still need to be pretty tough. I also would like bigger, dual purpose type birds. I’d also like something that isn’t white, since they’ll be free ranging some and that’d be just like a beacon.

What do you think of the ones I like? Any other recommendations? I’d love to hear your opinions!

Orpingtons are cold tolerant although can get frost bitten combs. Wyandottes are cold to lent and their combs are smaller.

Which hatchery are you going through? Some breeds are only available through certain hatcheries which would nullify suggesting them.

It’ll be Rochester Hatcheries, have you ordered through them? I checked their catalogue and chose from there. Still so many options, how do people choose?! I guess that’s why you end up with so many....

I have literally a huge variety of chickens.
Of those I have buff orps, australorp, golden comet, new Hampshire red, red sex link, cochins, polish, barred rock cockerels, Dominique cockerels and pullets, and some barnyard mixes from others.

Of my favorites so far and some of these guys are still babies,

My Dominique pullets are SO sweet!
The australorp is SO sweet, buffs are extremely sweet and cuddly.
My red sex links are super sweet too.

For me the cold hardy type are my fave.
I live in Tennessee and since we dont have much cold here I dont have to worry too much about it being too cold or worry about frost bite (unless the temp goes negative which hardly ever does. )

My chickens stay dry anyway. Unless they decide to go run through the rain 😂

I literally LOVE the variety I have. Oh and EES are another fave of mine. I have to have a few within my flock bc they are just amazing birds with wild personalities lol

It’ll be Rochester Hatcheries, have you ordered through them? I checked their catalogue and chose from there. Still so many options, how do people choose?! I guess that’s why you end up with so many....
I just try new birds all the time, lol. I rotate my stock regularly (replace at least 1/2 flock annually)...so if I try something I find I don't like I get something different the next year or I order a replacement of the breeds I do like.

I just try new birds all the time, lol. I rotate my stock regularly (replace at least 1/2 flock annually)...so if I try something I find I don't like I get something different the next year or I order a replacement of the breeds I do like.

That’s a good point! I don’t have to commit to these for the rest of my life, they’re just a place to start. Good way of looking at it, thank you! :)

I have literally a huge variety of chickens.
Of those I have buff orps, australorp, golden comet, new Hampshire red, red sex link, cochins, polish, barred rock cockerels, Dominique cockerels and pullets, and some barnyard mixes from others.

Of my favorites so far and some of these guys are still babies,

My Dominique pullets are SO sweet!
The australorp is SO sweet, buffs are extremely sweet and cuddly.
My red sex links are super sweet too.

For me the cold hardy type are my fave.
I live in Tennessee and since we dont have much cold here I dont have to worry too much about it being too cold or worry about frost bite (unless the temp goes negative which hardly ever does. )

My chickens stay dry anyway. Unless they decide to go run through the rain 😂

I literally LOVE the variety I have. Oh and EES are another fave of mine. I have to have a few within my flock bc they are just amazing birds with wild personalities lol

Thanks for the input! Everyone seems to just love their hens and their personalities, so I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I get :)

Cuckoo marans, brabanters, jungle fowls dont have the best personalities but they are adorible, easter egger, dominque

Back
Top Bottom