Broody Bantie?`

just a dozen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
I have a 6 month old mille fleur d'uccle bantie, she started laying about a month ago.She lays an egg a day usually.This morning she was in nest box@ 7am.6 pm she was still in nest box opposite positon laying on her egg.Lifted her and put on floor her posture never changed looked like she was trying to lay an egg.Is she to young to go broody or is there a problem? My roo is getting more frisky, could she be afraid of him and trying to hide?

She hasn't laid an egg since yesterday(monday) morning. She is still in nest box no egg but moved to another box w/ plastic egg in it and was sitting on it.When I go near she fluffs up her feathers and makes a funny sound. If she is broody how do i stop it.I'm afraid she won't come out of box.

Thursday I kept taking her out of nest box.Shes acting normal,but hasn't laid an egg.(that i know of)Got one egg the color of hers yesterday but bigger.Maybe because she was backed up? She is making this funny little chirp noise.But seems to be ok.Hopefully.Any info is appreciated.

Yes, she's broody.

You can discourage a broody sometimes by restricting her access to a nestbox. I have a half d'Uccle hen that tried to go broody right after she started laying, too. She gave it up after a couple of days of my interrupting her and repeatedly taking her off the nest and/or keeping her away from the nest. She tried to go broody again over the winter for a couple of days, then this spring I let her hatch out some chicks. She's broody again right now, and despite my attempts to discourage her, has stuck with it this time for two weeks. I monitor her weight to make sure she's not losing too much, but other than that I'm just letting her do her thing. She has no eggs to sit on this time, though (it's too late in the season, plus I don't need any more chickens!).

I don't think she's broody anymore.She's acting normal,but hasn't laid an egg since.(9/27)it's 10/3.The weather has got worse the temp dropped 20-30 degrees hoping that's the cause.Other than not laying she's eating and drinking but won't go in nest boxes.My other 3 are laying just fine (2 production reds? & gold laced wyandotte)

Back
Top Bottom