Broody hen

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
Hey everyone I have a very broody hen who I’m gonna try and make her stop being broody it’s been a long time since I’ve head to deal with a broody bird any tips on how long to keep her locked up etc.
Thanks in advance :)

Jail is going to be your best bet to break her. You'll need a wire crate (dog kennel) to house her in. The crate should have a roost, food, and water, that's it. You're trying to make it as least comfortable as possible. She'll need to be in jail for about 24-72 hours, maybe longer. The longer they've sat on the nest the harder it is to break them which means they need to be in jail longer. Some people keep the cage inside the coop/run and others keep it on the outside. Good luck!

Quick Question the only dog crate I have has a solid bottom instead of just wire will that still work?
You need to either flip it over and bungie the tray on top,
or add smaller wire on the bottom under the tray(and remove the tray for breaking).

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1655463241002.png

Great post and comments. I am going through the same experience today with one of my hens. Wasn’t sure if I am supposed to keep her confined overnight.
Question- does the crate have to be off the floor? Or can it be on the run floor…it’s sand.
Is it better to place the crate in the run or in the coop?

Wasn’t sure if I am supposed to keep her confined overnight.
Best to keep her in crate 24/7
Question- does the crate have to be off the floor? Or can it be on the run floor…it’s sand.
Best that it's raised off the ground so air can flow underneath to help cool her belly off.

Wherever it is safest and coolest.

Great post and comments. I am going through the same experience today with one of my hens. Wasn’t sure if I am supposed to keep her confined overnight.
Confined 24x7 if possible. If it's not safe to do so (i.e. crate is in run, you don't feel it's predator proof or weather proof enough) then better to put her in the coop overnight, but it'll take longer to break that way.

You'll get more consistent results having it elevated off the floor so cool air can circulate under her belly. That said, I've always broken my hens on the floor (even with a crate I just put it on the floor) without any issue, but I'm also very proactive with breaking them, so they're never completely set yet.

Crate can go in either location, I really haven't noticed a difference either way.

Back
Top Bottom