Building A Coop

Ok... sorry, I will make it bigger. Thanks. (Instead of 6 feet, 8 feet and instead of 8 feet, 10 feet? Sorry, I am a newbie.) 😬😁
8x8 is a much more efficient use of lumber and materials. Sheathing and plywood come in 4x8 sheets. You can use 24" OC construction too. Look up Advanced framing technique on how to make the corners and eliminate the double top plate.
Hinge windows on the top so they can be left open during rains.
Do you have a sketch of your interior design?

8x8 is a much more efficient use of lumber and materials. Sheathing and plywood come in 4x8 sheets. You can use 24" OC construction too. Look up Advanced framing technique on how to make the corners and eliminate the double top plate.
Hinge windows on the top so they can be left open during rains.
Do you have a sketch of your interior design?
Thanks! My dad is helping with the construction (he's a mechanic/builder) but he told me to draw the design. (I'm gonna help with the building) Anyway, he does not know how to build a coop and told me that everything goes as long as it is not too big. And not yet, no, I am still working on the interior design. I am planning on adding a lot of perches because I have a couple of jumpy chicken and I heard that perches are the best for winter.

Since snow is a thing, even if your plan is to free range most of the time - I'd definitely build the run with at least 10 sq ft per bird, especially since you're not building the coop oversized to compensate for weather (where you build for 6-8 sq ft per bird in coop and/or cull down each fall to allow that amount of space per bird).

Build for the maximum birds you anticipate having, not just the ones you have now.

Thanks! My dad is helping with the construction (he's a mechanic/builder) but he told me to draw the design. (I'm gonna help with the building) Anyway, he does not know how to build a coop and told me that everything goes as long as it is not too big. And not yet, no, I am still working on the interior design. I am planning on adding a lot of perches because I have a couple of jumpy chicken and I heard that perches are the best for winter.
You have to have the right clearance for the roosts. If they are too close to the wall, the birds tails can rub on the wall and other "stuff" can splatter on the walls.
If the roosts are too close together and one is lower than the other, the birds on top can splatter that "stuff" on the birds below them.
If the roosts are the same height and too close together they can peck at each other more than they already will at roost time and will have trouble getting on and off the roost.
They roost every night. Not just in the winter.

Since snow is a thing, even if your plan is to free range most of the time - I'd definitely build the run with at least 10 sq ft per bird, especially since you're not building the coop oversized to compensate for weather (where you build for 6-8 sq ft per bird in coop and/or cull down each fall to allow that amount of space per bird).

Build for the maximum birds you anticipate having, not just the ones you have now.
We will most likely keep it at this number, but my mom is addicted to baby chicks and baby chicks only (of course I hate her for that:rant). I do not plan to cull them because they are family to me, but when I move put and if my family allows me to take the coop, (they don't care for the full-grown chickens :rant) I plan on getting more chickens. Also, ok, I will adjust the run too even though only a few like to wander outside during bad weather. :)

Okay, let's just say that I get 25 chickens. The run would have to be 250 sq. ft and that would mean that if it is to match the coop's new width, 10 feet, the run would be... 10 ft by 25 ft? am I right?
Also, the coop would be 150 sq. ft, which is... 10 ft by 15ft?
Is this ok? If I add platforms can the coop be shrunk?

Back
Top Bottom