Bull Mastiffs....new pic added!

lagpmgdsls

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Anybody have one? We are getting a puppy on Saturday and i am just looking for any helpful tidbits you may have.

Pics are always nice too!

Last edited:
I've never owned one but a friend of mine had 8 show dogs. I would care for the ones she left home when taking 1 or 2 to a show.....they were AWESOME!!!! Very sweet and calm. Course hers were show dogs and got lots of love and attention. But I loved them.

A new puppy will certainly brighten up your Christmas. Sounds like you are in for some great fun! I don't have a Bullmastiff, but raise Bluetick Coonhounds. Try dogbreedinfo.com. It has some great breed realted info.. You might also try the akc and ukc websites. Both have breed realated info. too. If you aren't familiar with training methods try to enroll your puppy in a class or read Mother Knows Best by Carol Lea Benjamin or Raising the Perfect Puppy by Cesar Millan. Training makes them so much easier to live with. I wish you the very best with your new baby. Amy

I don't have Bull mastiffs but I do raise Am.Bulldogs that have a lot of Mastiff in their bloodline..they are awesome dogs. I think you will think so in a very short time.

smile.png
Iown a boarding kennel. Bull mastiffs are BIG & usully gentle. I like to have them in the kennel. congrats on a COOL dog

I take care of a Bull Mastiff regularly (20 hours a week every week and 4 times a year I have him for a week or more). They are highly intelligent and strong willed dogs. The dog I care for has been trained since he was a pup. When I first started looking after him, he spent a lot of time trying to figure out what his limits were. I became afraid of him and thought I wouldn't be able to handle the dog. I spoke with his owners (who didn't have any of the problems I had) and a dog trainer and found out I made the mistake that many people make... I backed down. You cannot back down to these dogs, ever. They want to be the boss and will be the boss unless they are shown they are not. The owners had researched the breed thoroughly before buying him and began training him from day one. It took a while for me to gain back the ground I lost at the beginning, but by the end of a couple of weeks, he and I became the best of buds and he listens to me without problems. He's a great pouter though, and I have never in my life seen a dog that can look more pathetic than he can
smile.png

I have bullmastiffs(its one word not 2) and they are the best dogs I've ever had. Just remember(as with all dogs) socialize,socialize, socialize and you will have a loving a wonderful family pet!
Thats Mabel in the front shes fawn, she is my favorite(don't tell the others) shes 5 and very much pet quality(notice the very mastiffy head but I actually prefer her look to my show quality male) The ones on the couch in the background are Riggs and Ruby they are both reds.
27498_taras_stuff_059.jpg

I've read about Mastiffs and they sound like wonderful people...
Really, they're more like people than a mere dog... they'll get majorly bummed if they aren't treated as a loved family member.
Little to no risk of them running off as they love and want to stay in their home.

Bulls, there have been both good and bad reports, but on the bad reports there's almost always an obvious reason for the bad behavior... mistreatment/neglect or even training to be that way is sadly common, but also there are some bloodlines that aren't great but are allowed to continue breeding... that can happen with ANY breed, it's not just bulls, but the whole barrel gets a bad name for the few bad apples.

I've posted before about my uncle's dog Skeemer... supposedly Bull Mastiff and Sharpee (sp?) and he was the most loving, most gentle, kind dog I've ever met. He was truly a beautiful creature to know and I consider myself lucky that I was his friend.

Not an expert, by any stretch, but that's my two cents for what it's worth.
Treat that baby like he's family and he'll do the same... love you and protect you with everything he's got.

Not to mention all those awesome puppy cute moments.
big_smile.png
Congrats on your new baby.

Back
Top Bottom