How did the vet visit go?
I may regret this, but I ended up cancelling. She was so spirited all morning, eating and drinking and flying around like a maniac (in other words: her usual self). I also gave her some "calsorb," which my vet had previously prescribed for another chicken, though we didn't end up needing it.

When it came time for me get her, she was in the nesting box area singing an egg song. I was worried about further disrupting her rythym for a 30 min bumpy truck ride, and called the vet, who agreed. She said I can bring her in tomorrow if need be (I'm lucky to have an awesome avian vet here).

Alas, she did not lay. But has been acting herself all day, right up to roosting with her sisters for the night. I'm figuring she might skip a day since she laid two back-to-back yesterday (which may have been her first--hence seeming so freaked out). My fingers are crossed she's able to work out a healthy one with little stress tomorrow. I can tell she wants to, she gets so into cheering the others on.

No signs of infection or binding at this point, and the yolk of both eggs she laid were intact, though the whites leaked a little. I'll stay vigilant and take her in should there be any concerning signs. I'm hoping that won't be the case and she just needs time to "reset."

Thank you for checking in on her!

I would check her out really well though - you mention that she has a crooked tail (Wry Tail?) that's a genetic deformity which usually will not affect laying, but could mean she could have some developmental issues, you never know.
Check her crop to see if it's empty in the morning, look for lice/mites, etc.

They are still fairly young so it could be they haven't settled down, but often you may have a bully or 2 in a flock. If she's not getting to eat very well, this will make her weak. I have separated bullies before, but once back, they are still bullies. Pinless peepers is something some people use, but I usually try to let them work it out - if no blood is being drawn. Since she's so submissive, she's always going to get picked on a little.
What is pinless peepers?

S
She laid a normal egg today, but seems to be skipping too many days in between. She seems to be in good health, though, and no more membranes under the perch. Thanks for asking.
I'm glad to hear it. Sending her good vibes from SWVA. I'm new to chickens and hadn't heard of that breed... Beautiful. I read they lay roughly 3x/week, so maybe she'll just be on the lower end of her breed's stats?

Today will be a wait-and-see for me. I'm going to try not to hover as much (who am I kidding).

Best of luck over there.

Just a thought: you mentioned Greek yoghurt spatter on her head. Any chance the bully was pecking at the yoghurt rather than just to bully?
No, the bullying was from the day prior (no yogurt that day). The cute thing about yogurt days is, they do a nice cleaning it off each other off each other--and the one getting groomed seems to appreciate it.

Happy to report the bullying has gone down... Darla seems to be aware of Dru while eating, so she avoids drama, but looks like Dru took a chill pill too. Maybe she was particularly brutal to Darla that day to instill her dominance. Now it seems they know their place and things are more peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom