Pics
May 29, 2019
Poor Darla our EE is having a rough go of it. She's a new layer, can't figure out how to use the boxes, is getting her eggs eaten, and now is the target of bullying. She's also seemed to have gotten depressed, or worse, is under the weather.

Original thread is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-chickens-eating-eggs.1332541/ (see latest update)

This is the latest update:

I don't know if you all will see this but the plot has thickened in a somewhat sad way. We do believe Darla has continued to lay in the run every day and all the other girls eat her eggs (we are always a few moments too late). She generally seems confused about the whole thing.

Anyway, today I noticed she was getting particularly brutally picked on (which is not normal for our flock). Every time she'd try to eat she'd get a peck, and eventually she'd wander to the other corner of the run sheepishly not knowing what to do with herself and then lying down. I even saw her take a barrage to her crown while she stayed low in a gesture of submission. When the coast would be clear she'd get up and start eating like crazy, but then the same problem hens would see her, start eating, and peck at her until she runs away. I did notice that she had a bit of a comb and beak injury (which I sprayed Vetericyn on).

Well, the thing is, she's noticeably more out of it and slower--like, she lays down and goes to sleep a lot (in between trying to eat and drinking--she perks up a ton when she can). When walking around she seems slower, stiller, and like she doesn't know what to do with herself--not walking like a penguin or anything though. Her poops look fine. She's just... depressed-seeming.

So, do chickens get depressed from bullying? Is it possible the stress of starting to lay plus all the bullying (and having her eggs eaten) has gotten to her? Or is she sick and they sense it, hence said bullying? Do you think egg binding could be happening this go-round?

Hoping someone sees this. My heart breaks for her and I hope this is only temporary. My flock had been so harmonious prior to all the laying.​

You need to remove the Wyandotte and the Plymouth Rock from the flock for a few weeks so that the other chickens can make a new pecking order. Then once you reintroduce the bullies to the flock they will need to reintegrate with the flock. If this doesn’t work then you need to seriously consider rehoming the bullies or Darla.

@hysop @slordaz @Brahma Chicken5000 @Wyorp Rock @sorce @Chickassan @sunrise.superman @cbain0432

IMG_20190922_111046.jpg
happy ending.

I have a little Mille Fleur d'Uccle, Poppy, that was ostracized in my cousin's flock. Not allowed to roost or eat unless she could find a spot by herself. My cousin brooded a bunch of chicks for both of us and I took the d'Uccle when I took home the babies at about 7 weeks bc my cousin felt so sorry for her and after nearly a year she just wasn't working well with the others bullying her. I left Poppy with the babies but left her a nice perch she could fly to if needed. Once everyone was integrated with the older hens enough...they were bossy (SUPER bossy Jersey Giant and 2 of the 4 Buff Orps) but left the littles alone for the most part as long as they weren't in the immediate space...Poppy really started to flourish. I was worried she was a bit too dumb, but she just needed a chance it seems. She was the boss of the littles for quite a while and then bc she had some full grown hens hanging with her the olders quit harassing her so much. Now after a year, she has moved up to about the middle of a pack of 11 hens. She can guard tidbits I throw out, chooses her nest box, gets her choice of roosts, even steals a bit from some of the big hens she was with as younger chicks. Lately she's started crowing! She's a little oddball but she finally found her place.

First off are they getting enough protein and calcium? sounds like something is missing in their diet or they may have worms, which you won't see in poop until they have a worm overload.

Secondly do you have more than one feeding and watering station set up?

I would recommend actually making a barrier so she is still with the flock but they can not get to her. if need be find another EE to put with her for companionship.

Ohhhh, think iv'e found at least a chunk of Darla's woes.
She's in the pecking order now with your meanies, it started the split second she laid her first egg.
She's the low hen.
Her treatment wont change until an even more docile hen starts to lay or Darla kicks somebody's butt and moves up in rank. :)
4 others are laying besides Darla. The four bosses.

Thank you @hysop @slordaz @Brahma Chicken5000 @Wyorp Rock @sorce @Chickassan @sunrise.superman for helping me through this (I don't like mean girls in human life and somehow it's even more distressing in chicken life--though I know it's sadly the nature of the game in both arenas).

And more importantly, thank you for helping our little oddball Darla. Just checked on her and she is doing fine today :fl

Back
Top Bottom