Bumblefoot Questions

OK. Two more questions.

1. I am thinking the swollen, purple thumb is now her primary source of pain and the reason she is still not wanting to put weight on her foot vs the original bumblefoot wound. A friend suggested lancing it. What do y'all think? Would this help?

2. I put the bumblefoot chicken down on the grass, in the yard. A couple of her flock came up and started pecking and beating her up. Is this to be expected? Are they doing it because they perceive her to be sick and weak?

The swollen toe isn't full of fluid or liquid pus, so lancing isn't useful. Go ahead and try it. You'll see. About the only thing to do that might help, but has an outside chance of working, is to soak daily in Epsom salt water to try to improve circulation.

And yes, the flock attacking her is what chickens do.

Can anyone help

My duck has bumblefoot and ive treated with antibiotics from the vets. Vets have been no help since.. the scab has got bigger and hadnt left? Ive read on here u can do epsom salts so i have and yo remove the scab try to get a pimple out and use iodine and bandages? From the picture can anyone tell if it is fixed just scab remaining?or if its as bad as i think

Attachments

• 20200526_153257.jpg
    20200526_153257.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 9
It's definitely bad. The black is necrotic tissue. It must be debrided (removed) and daily Epsom soaks with antibiotic ointment applied, and possibly an oral antibiotic as well.

It's definitely bad. The black is necrotic tissue. It must be debrided (removed) and daily Epsom soaks with antibiotic ointment applied, and possibly an oral antibiotic as well.
So i have a spray and iodine ive ordered online as the vets just arent helping. So if i remove the scab and try it like thst may that help?

So i have a spray and iodine ive ordered online as the vets just arent helping. So if i remove the scab and try it like thst may that help?
[/QUOT
Are you talking about that big patch of black tissue below the small circular scab she is pointing out as being the necrotic tissue?

Bumblefoot update as of 5.29.20: The infected area on the bottom of her foot seems to have healed. The purple thumb has developed either a scab all the way around the thumb or it is dead/dying tissue, not sure which and is still swollen. Anyway...I was able to either simply peel it away from the thumb. Some of it I had to peel then cut away with scissors. It was bleeding. I cleaned it up really good, dressed it and wrapped it. It seems to be very sore and seem to be the primary source of her discomfort. She is still hopping on it and not wanting to put full weight on it. The hen is eating and drinking much, much, MUCH better. She even flew up and perched on her tote box I have been keeping her in.

Question: I recalled that my vet used a drawing salve on the bottom of my horses' hoof when it would develop a deep abscess. Has anyone ever tried this to draw out infection associated with bumblefoot?

Attachments

• IMG_1326[1].JPG
    IMG_1326[1].JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 4
You can use pine tar. I never have since it's pretty messy stuff, but it's a legitimate treatment and after the stuff hardens, you don't need to mess with it again. Farmers have been using pine tar to treat livestock wounds for 2000 years.

Back
Top Bottom