butchering roosters

When I purchased my chicks, I got the egg/meat combo...from the start I have made it clear to the kids that the Cornish rocks were meat chickens..,they have not named any of them, but treat them very well...I have caught a lot of flack for saying the boys will participate in the butchering process from coworkers...even called mean and barbaric...but I want the boys to know where their food comes from, and the sacrifice an animal makes to provide us with nutrition...no one moans when kids here shoot deer and butcher..,why a chicken?

I understand that this is not a pleasant job and certainly everyone has their own reasons for raising chickens. I made the decision to raise chickens for meat and eggs. This is my first year and I purchased 25 chicks of assorted large breeds from a hatchery with a promise of a few pullets. The chickens are now 15 weeks old and both due to ordinance and behavior (Crowing) it is time to start the culling process. I do this alone, wife is willing to help with water, food and even some cleaning of the run/coop, but wants nothing to do with processing the birds.

I have cleaned four total so far. My experience is that not letting the bird rest for 2-3 days made for tough meat. The process of catching that one bird that is crowing loudest is more of a challenge that I expected and I hate that the bird is stressed out by this process. I was also unprepared for the mess of the plucked feathers and "everything" else that is not going to be eaten or used for stock. The waste needs to be dealt with immediately to avoid attracting predators, flies, and smells. Seriously, my one piece of advice as a novice myself is; do not start without knowing how you will dispose of the waste.

I use a killing cone and really appreciate the simplicity and the way the chicken is held securely. I had some experience working on a farm as a kid and I do some hunting so the rest of the process is not too bad for me, but certainly not pleasant. I sincerely appreciate that this chicken that I have raised from a chick is giving it's life for my nourishment. As a result, I am compelled to use every bit of the chicken that I can and have been scalding a peeling the feet. I use the feet, hearts, necks, and backs for stock and take the time to get the meat from the neck and back. I also keep the liver and gizzard and will be having fried livers and gizzards for dinner very soon.

It is important to me that the whole process be consistent with my reason for raising chickens from the start which was to gain a better control over the food that I eat and knowing that the animals I eat have been treated humanely and respectfully throughout the process. I feel good about what I'm doing even if it is not always easy or pleasant.

Additional question to go along with this since I am also a first timer...
Does it matter what age the roosters are?
Mine are almost 6 months old-DEFINITELY ROOSTERS- and becoming territorial and aggressive, mating with my poor overwhelmed hens. We have since separated 2 of the roos. We bought what we thought were 6 hens from tractor supply, Production Reds supposedly already sexed, but turns out we have 3 confirmed roosters.
Before my neighborhood starts complaining, can I butcher them at 6 months old?

Why not? they may be stewing birds but good eats. I got rid of a year old rooster that became a paranoid psycho and was disturbing my layers causing them to destroy eggs. I made coq au vin with him.

Additional question to go along with this since I am also a first timer...
Does it matter what age the roosters are?
Mine are almost 6 months old-DEFINITELY ROOSTERS- and becoming territorial and aggressive, mating with my poor overwhelmed hens. We have since separated 2 of the roos. We bought what we thought were 6 hens from tractor supply, Production Reds supposedly already sexed, but turns out we have 3 confirmed roosters.
Before my neighborhood starts complaining, can I butcher them at 6 months old?
You can eat any bird at any age. It's just in how you cook it. Your roosters are going to have more "tooth" than a store bought 7 week old Cornish cross, that's for sure. Don't plan on grilling or anything else over high heat, plan for low and slow. Older birds make great dishes like chicken and dumplings, soup, anything else where you simmer the carcass or slow cook it and pull the meat. I love enchiladas with my older birds! You can look in the meat bird section, there are threads there about cooking dual purpose roosters or older birds. Good luck!

After all the years of hunting, fishing, and processing livestock, I still cry when I have to kill the animal. I will keep a box of tissues, just for that reason. Once that part is over, the rest is relatively easy and for some reason, no longer bothers me. I am going to try the cone this year, as I have 3 confirmed cockerels, 5 weeks and also bought dual purpose, knowing I would be processing some. It is never easy for me, and by now, prolly never will be, but I get the job done!

By the way, extracting the "guts" is called eviscerating
wink.png
My late husband used to do the killing part and I still cried. This year, I will be doing the whole process by myself, so will keep it to two birds at a time.

A also say a thanksgiving prayer, and thank the bird too. I feel it is good animal husbandry to keep the flock healthy and happy. I like what one OP said and have used it myself, I give them a GREAT life and one really bad day and then give thanks for God's bounty He has provided! My chickens are named...chickens!

Best of luck and keep some tissues handy!

I'm in the same boat. I bought my chicks from a man who has his own back yard flock. He sexed them by looking at the small feathers on the tips of their wings and said there was a 90% chance he gave me 7 females and 1 male. 9 weeks later, we have 3 crowing roosters and two at least two suspected roosters. Time to break out the frying pan...

I do almost the same thing as wsmith but the last time I buchered I did it by myself.

I did 26 X-Rocks and averaged about 15 mins each (6 1/2 hours). About 45-60 mins of that time was used to get everything ready and then to clean-up afterward.

I use 2 ice chest, 3 killing cones (homemade) and I have an electric plucker (not homemade but worth the price).

I kill 3 at a time, Scald each one at a time then pluck them all together. Put them in the ice chest with 3 sacks of ice and fill with water about 3/4 full.

After all are in ice water I start cleaning. Feet, Head and crop, then bottom side and pull the inards. Then it is into the other ice chest. I layer ice then birds untill full then add salt to keep it cold. This comes to the kitchen. I leave them a day or 2 then use those cool bags that shrink in hot water. (see whizbang site).

If you don't have an electric plucker it will likley take about 10-20 mins longer for each bird. IMO plucking is the most back breaking part. I figure I can spend the money at the chiropractor or on the $500 plucker. At $40 per visit, that's about 12 trips to the chiropractor I won't need and then the plucker is almost free. It has plucked almost 75 birds so far and I have had it about 6 months.

Good Luck

I just did my first Rooster last weekend, he was only 14 weeks, but he had to go because he wouldn't stop crowing and I am in a no Rooster zone right now. I followed this website, and it took me 45 minutes from start to finish. Very little blood, all of the innards came out easily and it was a lot less stressful than I anticipated!
http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html

I just did my first Rooster last weekend, he was only 14 weeks, but he had to go because he wouldn't stop crowing and I am in a no Rooster zone right now. I followed this website, and it took me 45 minutes from start to finish. Very little blood, all of the innards came out easily and it was a lot less stressful than I anticipated!
http://ramblingredneckmom.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-process-chickens-at-home.html

Thank you so much for the link to redneck Mom's blog. I've had pullets for 3 years now, and it's time to butcher them. I am nervous! But the step by step instructions helped immensely!! I think it's actually something I can accomplish!

Back
Top Bottom