BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Good morning all,

Sorry for the mass posting, it's easier when you've missed a bit of the action to quote ad respond to the posts separately especially when they cross over pages and my memory is shot to pieces, lol.

I am working tomorrow (with a 3 hour drive each way) and will be staying overnight with my parents in between. On the way home on Wednesday I have to return a kettle I bought which is luckily still under warranty. It has decided to shed thousands of tiny shards of plastic into the water as it boils, which I don't consider particularly healthy - or safe. I'm pleased the Warranty is still active as it cost me $60AU.

Today though will be a quiet day. It's not quite 9am and I am still in my jammies. I have been a little bit productive in that I've done all my housework (except for the laundry, which is still to come.) But the good thing about being in a town where you don't know anyone is that you CAN stay in your jammies all days because no-one is going to unexpectedly come over for a visit and knock on the door! Our nearest relatives are all 2 1/2 to 3 hours away, so I feel safe in dong it!

Other jobs on my agenda today are to pack my overnight bag and later in the afternoon go down the street for groceries.

Darn it.

Looks like I will have to get dressed at some point!

- Krista x

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yep, Father's Day is in June here...the 3rd Sunday of June if I remember right. Since my Dad has been gone for 5 years now, I don't keep track.

Wonder what other holidays you have that are different from ours?

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Sadly, no. We are in a rented house and whilst they did allow us to keep our 2 cats, we are not set up for chickens here. Plus, we are slap-bang in the middle of town so I think you can only keep one or two, and definitely no roosters.

Giving up my flock nearly broke my heart. I loved having them so much. I have told hubby that I do want to get more chickens, but will wait until fortune favours us and we (hopefully) one day can buy our own home. I couldn't bear to have to give them away again.

Krista

4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I'm sorry to hear that NorthFLChick. I dread the day when I have to face the same thing myself. My parents are 75 and 74, and I notice things are slowly turning around where I now have to keep an eye on them, instead of them keeping an eye on me. I am very sorry for your loss x.

Holidays? Well, I have noticed that you guys have Thanksgiving, and we don't celebrate that at all. We do have Christmas and Easter of course, and also get a public holiday for the Queen's Birthday! Mothers Day is in May, but we don't get a day off for that or Father's Day. We do get New Year's day off though.

Krista

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We have Mother's Day in May here too, always on a Sunday so depending on what your job is, you may or may not get a day off. There's Memorial Day in May, Labor Day in September...those are on Mondays so most get a day off.

Of course, one we have here you don't is July 4th...but then we don't get a holiday for the Queen's birthday so maybe it all evens out!

It does seem like the post office and the banks get several more holidays, I know they're always closed when I really need them, lol.

6. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal
    Lol banks and government.

It's hilarious sometimes dealing with consulates...the U.S. Consulates in Canada would take Canadian AND American holidays ;)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    prostar loved "when ducks attack," especially when the Pekin went after that PITA woman - that will teach her.

I've had a Canadian goose bite me in the knee. I was throwing bread and didn't realize it was their breeding season. I never thought a toothless animal could inflict such pain.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Krista I love days when I can pull the shades down and stay in jammies all day.

9. prostar

prostar Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2015
    Sunny SoCal

They are not true Canadians they are JERKS!!!!
    Vicious evil mean jerks!!!!

10. drumstick diva

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    they ARE vicious and evil and we call them' flying outhouses' here, the newspaper said they dump 3 lbs. of poo everyday. They are NOT migratory but, the law protects them anyway. Drivers will aim for pedestrians, long before they will hit a goose. It's ridiculous the way they hold up traffic and everyone is afraid to nudge them along.

What they did to the HS track was a crime. Their generous poo piles made it slick as ice and stinkin' to high heaven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by