BYC Café

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KingOfFools, Jan 23, 2015.

1. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    I agree with the goose poo I have this chap visit once a year on his way back to Canada, and he sits on my roof for a whole day just chillin' and pooing - the poo is guaranteed to fill any gaps in the roof until he comes the next time, not even our summer rains can shift it.

[​IMG]

Krista, are you also cold we have winter here and it is FREEZING - It doesn't even snow and the sun shines all day but it is so cold I simply cannot operate in this weather and as soon as the housework is done I creep into my bed with hot water bottle and every animal I have. We have had power cuts all weekend absolutely ghastly... cannot wait for summer the hotter the better.

NorthFLchick sorry about your dad - mine our 94 and 92 and still going but have the best care at home. I know this is awful, but it is time now as they have no quality of life. I told my vet that if I get to that state he must put me down lol

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Well, I've had a week or more of catch-up reading to do. Glad everyone seems well! My chicks hatched last Tuesday. 3 bantam cochins and 3 polish, out of 11 eggs locked down. At least I got over 50%. Had some temp issues in the last few days, I believe the heater controller is going out in my incubator, so I was happy to get a few to hatch.

Seems we are all dealing with heat, cold, wet, dry.... lovely weather all around! LOL We've had so much rain the past week, the ducks are loving it, but the chicks are miserable. My pens are just sopping wet. And when the rain stops, the heat and humidity are just unbearable!

Hello to the new folks who pulled up a chair in the last several days! I'm in and out a lot, but live to visit when I can. The brownies here are to die for! [​IMG]

Well, its almost a done deal with the sell of our business. I actually thought the company was going to be sold, but now it looks like we are just selling our inventory and rights to our name and logo. Our production crew will continue making the product for the new buyer for a while. I'm guessing maybe the end of the year. They didn't want us to keep many "admin" folks, but since I do payroll and accounting, it looks like I'll stick around until we are done.

I am sooooo ready for a vacation. I'm going to South Carolina the week after the 4th of July! One sister of mine just bought a new place near the ocean. Sister from CA, sister from KY, "sister" (my late mother's boyfriend's daughter) is coming from AZ. This will be the first time that me and all my sisters will be together for something other than a funeral in I can't remember how long. A very long time.

Oh, speaking of rodents... I have a family of squirrels that have decided that my duck feeder is their feeder too. The little boogers are getting so bold, when I walk out to the pen, they barely run! If I clap my hands, they will dart behind the tree, but I have to get really close for them to actually run up the tree. I've got one of those little CO2 pellet/BB guns that I'm almost ready to use on them. Say goodbye, little beasts!

3. tjo804

tjo804 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    Wonderful! my DH also is not keen on me getting a job out of the 5 children we have 1 home and he is 16. Boy would I like to take an online class or get a LVT or CVT . just because I love to work with animals. Would I use the letters maybe there are a lot of veterinarians in my area (no chicken vets) And DH doesnt want me punching a clock either. but I am sure I could find ways to use the knowledge.

Very nice flock you have!
    see I find BYC and napping go hand and hand for me[​IMG] as my brain gets so full I must clear it with a quick nap. I love it!
    [​IMG] It is amazing what ignorant humans will do and then blame the animal for bad behavior. If I gave my ladies cash to go to the store they would never beg treats again [​IMG]

4. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the consolations on my Dad...he was the best and with yesterday being Father's Day I really missed him. He knew about 6 months out his time was running out and so was as prepared as anyone can be. Thanks again, I have a lot of good memories of him and so do my boys so it's ok.

We went to the Florida Natural History Museum in Gainesville yesterday for the 1st time. It's on the Un. of FL campus and admission is free (except for special exhibits). So nice to get away from our little farm and out of the heat for the afternoon. We really enjoyed it.

@WVduckchick hope the sale goes through easily. Your trip to see the sisters sounds like a lot of fun!

Hope you all have a good day!

5. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Oh I wish for the heat, I envy you I went to disney in Florida when I was 18 and stayed with my Uncle in Fort Lauderdale, he ran Planters Peanuts at the time.. We had a hurricane warning and I remember my aunt running the bath for water - the next day the beach was in the road - quite scary..lol

i remember it was very humid and actually not very nice weather. I got lost in the shopping mall, wearing only my sundress and ended up in the parking lot - I had to explain I was from South Africa and did not know what I was doing - I think he was going to arrest me for soliciting but my accent saved me - lol

6. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @whoop whoop you have some pretty exciting FL memories...too funny about the parking lot!

7. MissWiggles

MissWiggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    UP of Michigan
    Things have been a bit hectic here. But it seems like everyone is suddenly busy, so I don't feel so bad. Still kinda on the cold side here, the flowers are not doing well.

Met last week with the man that will be making my kitchen cabinets. They will be Knotty Alder and I can't wait to see them. We were hoping to start on the basement this week, but we ran into a little hiccup with the construction loan. Namely the bank won't give it to us because the title to out 40 acres is not clear. Somehow my aunts are still listed on it! No one seems to know how that happened...they never should have been on it in the first place and it appears some lawyer (about three lawyers ago) goofed it up. So, we have a deed to,the land, but not a clear title. What a mess. So, it's a mad dash to try and get this cleared up by Friday.

Other than that, not much to report from my neck of the woods. Oh yeah, I was asked if I would like to be a "guest baker" at the local bait shop/ bakery! I just think I might....:yiipchick

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I hope as guest baker at the bait shop, you won't be doing worm casseroles! [​IMG]

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    @MissWiggles , that's nice to be asked to be a guest baker! What do you plan on baking? Maybe sometime you'd like to drop in on my home baker thread (see link in the sig line). We've shared some good recipes, some funny mishaps and some nice photos of our efforts.

10. whoop whoop

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    Sorry I kind of barge into this thread hope you all don't mind. Did a Drumstick Diva today and stayed in y PJ's' the whole day. Stuff the chores, got flu due to this lousy weather and in bed sipping some vile concoction from the homeopath and mango juice. Checked out the homebakers thread its great - can't wait till I feel better to have a go at all the tasties you ladies made. Have you ever made beer bread, I do it quite often took a while to get the measurements right, first time it wanted to climb out the oven and second time even the birds wouldn't eat it but now its quite delicious. Oh well time for another shot..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by