BYC Café

Morning!

DH is relaxing today...he's spent the past couple of weeks studying for his insurance agent's license exam. He took it yesterday and passed with flying colors! Hopefully this will all lead to a bit of extra jingle in our pockets.

My biggest job today will be trying to find a new home insurance company. Ugh, no one really wants to sell because we're out in the middle of nowhere but we're required to have it.

Beautiful morning here, it was nice to get up early and enjoy it before the day's heat and humidity set in.

Have a good one everybody!

Our neighbors had about ten trucks worth of cement pumped under their house, it wasn't a sink hole, but slipping sand. We got canceled from ours soon after for having pine needles in our gutters. it was a continual problem since they were always dropping, but it must have been a serious threat to our structure.

hmm.png

We have had the offending trees removed, but they don't want us back for some odd reason.
It would have been cheaper to remove the gutters.

@3goodeggs , I feel your pain and frustration.

We knew our roof needed replacing (it was 25 years old) but had hoped to put it off for a couple years since it wasn't leaky or a problem. Nope, the insurance company said if we didn't replace it by August, they would cancel us. So in April, we dug deep into our non-existent bank account and came up with a contractor that would replace the roof asap...nice shingles too, good for 20+ years. Insurance company is still canceling us because we didn't have "proof" that the work was done. I gave them photographs of before and after, a paid invoice showing all the detailed work from the contractor and the county building inspector signed off on the job. Not enough proof apparently.

Ugh, I really hate this kind of stuff. Much rather play in the garden with the chickens, lol.

Sounds like the insurance company we dealt with - they wanted us to replace concrete stoop and small amount of sidewalk that was cracked or they would cancel us. Just our luck we didn't have snow that month so they noticed the cracks. Ordinarily they would have never noticed. We told them no one walks on the sidewalk or stoop (absolute truth) they just walk on the driveway. Had to do it anyway, cost plenty. They kept threatening to cancel us for not having work done in time. You can't pour concrete in extreme cold (winter here).Gave us 3 mos. to do it. We sent copies of contract, pictures of the finished work etc. plus building permit. Still wanted to cancel us. Finally agreed we had work completed. Then they raised our rates so high, we cancelled and found someone else.
somad.gif
rant.gif
We didn't have any claims but still wanted to screw us.

DD, we must have been dealing with the same ins. company. Or maybe they're all like that.
somad.gif

Morning!

DH is relaxing today...he's spent the past couple of weeks studying for his insurance agent's license exam. He took it yesterday and passed with flying colors! Hopefully this will all lead to a bit of extra jingle in our pockets.

My biggest job today will be trying to find a new home insurance company. Ugh, no one really wants to sell because we're out in the middle of nowhere but we're required to have it.

Beautiful morning here, it was nice to get up early and enjoy it before the day's heat and humidity set in.

Have a good one everybody!

Cough, cough. Seems you could be your hubby's first client no matter what insurance he wants to sell, life, health from finding home insurance....
big_smile.png

@NorthFLChick sorry to butt in the insurance chat but we got our new premium since our break in and they put us up 20% - it's a scam all round. We have to take pics of everything we own wth serial numbers to prove we have it and whats more they don't pay out for 'Acts of God' which seems to be everything. If a tree falls down its an 'act of god' etc we had bad hail damage to our cars and they wouldn't pay because they said they sent an sms to tell us there was a storm on the way and we should get under cover. Please, how do you do that if you are stuck in traffic?

We also had the roof problem, it started to leak and they said that it was wear and tear and wouldn't,pay,we had to re tile the roof at huge expense and it still leaks. Plus when they ever do work it is really crap, they fixed our window and wouldn't paint it or the wall where they soldered as it wasn't stolen.!! DH and I are thinking of re evaluating ins and putting away money incase of, I think South Africans pay more for insurance because of all the crime it really sucks. AND when you do claim they make you feel like thieves because no amount of proof is good enough for them..

Sorry had to vent,,, really feel your pain
barnie.gif

@whoop whoop , you're not butting in at all. You're just one more story about what a racket this all is. I'm sorry to hear everyone, regardless of where they live, has such similar stories but it does seem to prove this is all just a money-making racket.

We're in a higher price bracket because there isn't a fire station close by. How the heck would we ever get around that? Build one, hire firefighters? There is a volunteer one within 2 miles of our house but volunteer stations don't count, even though it is staffed 24/7. They say we are at a risk for hurricane damage...no we aren't, we're at a high point and way inland and the only damage anyone has had here for years has been some wind (and that wasn't bad).

Sheesh. Guess I won't have to worry about what I was going to spend all my billions of dollars on (ha!).

Ok, rant over. Please carry on.

I hate insurance companies, just on general principle. One house they refused to insure because it had wood siding. Our last house we had problems because the plumbing wasn't the new plastic or PVC or whatever it is they use now. They said it "might" leak, even though we had no problems with it, there was no history of problems with the plumbing and we certainly we not about to replace it!

Our new house is going to be log siding and we called and asked to be sure they would insure the house. We also changed the range we are putting in because we knew it was going to give us a problem with the insurance company.

And don't get me started on medical insurance companies....they are much, much worse!

PS Margie, your baby is cute, I can't wait to see her as a "grown up".

@NorthFLChick you are always so kind to me, even though I make an *** of myself time and time again (on line). Well one way to get round the fire station problem would be to do what our rather dodgy President did, was to build a 'fire pool' which is totally landscaped with marble and for use of the 'locals' if they could ever get in the compound let alone swim (and that's not remotely racist) just a fact - hardly anyone can swim here even though we are surrounded by oceans!!!

He claims that he has no access to water in the event of a fire so hence the 'scenic fire pool'.

Sorry not being helpful - all I can say DH has chosen the right job and should have lots of clients, just get him to sign up everyone with little policies that don't cost much, lots of commssion and if the client doesn't read the small print you will have more 'jingle' in your pocket than you can imagine.

However, knowing you I think your DH will be too nice to con anyone - but bills have to be paid....
yesss.gif

p.s. made the chestnut cake finally it was delicious

Back
Top Bottom