Should BYC Have It's Own, Easy To Use Genetic Calculator?

• Yes, great idea!

Votes: 192 86.9%
  • No, waste of time...

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Yes, and I can offer help!

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Yes, but with some adjustments to the original post...

Votes: 7 3.2%

• Total voters
I would love this to become a reality! While I don't know much about chicken genetics what I do know is how to program and how the (oops accidentally hit upload at this point) odd color schemes could be generated with the right code to back it up.
Quick question though since I currently haven't sat through and read all ~175 pages of this thread yet. What has so far been done as far as the actual coding is concerned? I know of the calculator @Henk69 did and it is pretty darn good. I think the whole kippenjungle (however it is spelled) calculator does fall short on the phenotype end though. I know there are lots and lots pf shades of buff and I'd imagine each shade of buff has different genotypes making it happen. Plus from looking at the calculator wizard it seems it puts everything in the URL, even the descriptions of each gene. I think something like this would need a way to have plugin files that store what the genes and alleles are, what they do, and how they effect the phenotype. That would allow much more freedom to play with extending it with new cdiscoveries to try out and if done robustly enough could produce a more accurate looking result. On the subject of pictures I personally think that a composite of images that can each be colorized differently for each body part, feather type, feather pattern, etc. I saw someone post something reguarding a GIS and in a sense that idea does make sense. Overlaying pattern map onto feather map onto body map snd having each be able to be colorized. I do think the real pictures could be very useful for basic colorings as a, "Your chicken might look like..." sort of thing. As far as being able to decern breed from breed all I know is what makes a Silkie a Silkie but I think the real pics could come in handy there too.

Last edited:
I think I could at least take a shot at it. I think a modular approach could let the genetics experts be able to contribute their alleles and the behaviors/effects they have a bit easier for someone with zero programming knowledge. If not that given the right description of the effects I might be able to work out how it could be coded in. It would be nice if the source code for the way it computes colors were available. If none of what I said makes any sense it is probably because I don't know where the projecr is at right now. (Phew my phone didn't send this one early this time!):lau

I think I could at least take a shot at it. I think a modular approach could let the genetics experts be able to contribute their alleles and the behaviors/effects they have a bit easier for someone with zero programming knowledge. If not that given the right description of the effects I might be able to work out how it could be coded in. It would be nice if the source code for the way it computes colors were available. If none of what I said makes any sense it is probably because I don't know where the projecr is at right now. (Phew my phone didn't send this one early this time!):lau
No I totally get it! I would 100% be able to actually contribute if you took the modular approach. I know how to use those.

We are at the point now where we have the basics well covered and a good understanding of each color variety genetics. Pretty much all we need to do is put characteristics into groupings. 1 group = 1 color variant of 1 breed. Get what I mean?

Yes I get what you mean. It just needs all the templates put together. Any constraints that have come up I should know about like a certain programming language or format? JSON comes to mind for this, not very noisy compared to other markup configuration languages, but perhaps another format may be better somehow.

Back
Top Bottom