California - Northern

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Hangtown Farms

Hangtown Farms Overrun With Chickens

May 19, 2012
    PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
    I just have young easter eggers though I did set the silver which I am gonna keep , but also some olive eggers from my blue ameraucana hen and white empordanesa rooster all the chicks I have hatched here have beards and muffs. You would get olive / green eggs out of the first cross that are pea combed and maybe from the straight combs too.
    Chickee might have more of her cool special easter eggers that would fit your need.
    Jerry Segler is who I got them from. he is on the ameraucana thread to and has been working on them for years
    cute

2. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    In the "In the shell" chicken news...there isn't any, no rocking rolling or peeping. I haven't given up it's only day 20 but I feel right now that anything that does hatch will be a happy surprise.

In, the "In the mail" chicken news My hatchery girls are coming. I was on Deanne's page yesterday and I saw what was there about sexing birds at the hatchery. It's awful....I won't order sexed pullets again unless they are auto sexing...but I am happy to be welcoming these new little girls home this one last time.

In out of the shell chicken news I think Ray is dying [​IMG]His comb flopped over the weekend, his crow was hoarse a few days ago and he has slept in the nest box the last 4 nights like he is too sore to get up on the roost. I had to lift him out of the coop this morning because he was just sitting there. Normally he likes to start his day by chasing the girls around and trying to get a little action but he just sort of stood there. I think his age and the ferocity of his frequent peacock fights are getting to him.

He was rehomed to my uncle 10+ years ago then rehomed to me this fall and he is such a good boy. He is a gentle caretaking guardian and I am sad.

[​IMG]

Trisha happy for you with your new babies! That's wonderful. The full moon always keeps me up too.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  3. MossyoakLane

MossyoakLane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Sonoma County, CA
    It sounds like your family has given him a great home and a lovely life. I am sorry to hear he isn't feeling well.

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have some true Ameraucana chicks due to hatch in a little over a week. They will be either wheaten, blue wheaten or splash wheaten. I also have mixed colored (called Easter Eggers because they are not accepted colors for showing or breeding) Ameraucana chicks that are 4 weeks old that I should be able to sex in a couple of weeks if you want to be sure to get pullets. They will lay blue green eggs. [​IMG]

Does Jason have many chickens? [​IMG] I would say so! As do the rest of us [​IMG] Seriously, there are many chicken addicts, I mean lovers on here! Hahaha

5. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I'm so sorry. Ten years is old in chicken years, he had a good run. I'm sorry I didn't know what to any about the floppy comb. I was just thinking this morning about ray and wondering if he was OK, now this :(. I'm too chicken to go into hatcher stuff with people unless they ask. Its horrible. Threadgeek, ugly boy is not quiet. Just ugly. But not an all day Crower, like some!! There are a few things yo can do to keep roosters quiet in the morning, most of em involve not letting them stretch their neck. Someone used to make a rooster harness that you could clip to not let the stretch . Then unclip for the rest of the day. You shop make me one for Clovis! French roostes are easplitting.

6. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thanks, Miss Molly! Hands full and heart full! [​IMG]

7. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    So sorry to hear about Ray. He is a gorgeous boy! [​IMG]

8. PetRock

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG] I would like to see a pic of that. I wonder if there are any videos on you tube? The last Marans/OE roosters that I have had have been lazy, sit down crowers! It is too funny to see them sitting under a bush crowing for all their worth. The 9 week old babies that I got from you at the end of February are in an outdoor aviary run. Some of the Marans mix OE cockerels have been crowing for a couple of weeks now. I have two Hibiscus bushes in the run that the chicks have picked the bottom branches clean. This morning, I could hear one of the OEs crowing away. Then I heard a scratchy beginning crow. It was the little Welsummer cockerel perched in the tree practicing while one of the OE's was on another branch encouraging him! I have to find time to get those pens done at the farm. One little boy was crowing at 5:30 this morning. Their days in the city are numbered!

9. Miss Molly

Miss Molly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Newcastle California
    Looking to buy packing supplies in bulk. I'm looking for the small bubble wrap for the eggs. Anyone know where to get it at a good price?

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    No, but I want to now too. I remember Deanna had a place but I didn't write it Down. Also anyone know if resteraunt supply is a good place to get aluminum foil in bulk?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by