California - Northern

My cockerel has taken to jamming himself into a nest box (and I do mean JAM, he's WAAAAY too big) and then doing an impressive imitation of the egg song. He's done it three mornings in a row now. The girls just stand around giving him side eye, LOL! Anyone else had a roo do this?

Quote:
Sound like a smart guy. He's been paying attention to the ladies and figured out what the nest box is for. At least he thinks he's figured it out!

My cockerel has taken to jamming himself into a nest box (and I do mean JAM, he's WAAAAY too big) and then doing an impressive imitation of the egg song. He's done it three mornings in a row now. The girls just stand around giving him side eye, LOL! Anyone else had a roo do this?
He is showing them a good place to lay.

I'm guessing he's ready for them do be done with being broody and raising chicks, LOL!. One of the moms has started ignoring the chicks (they're 6 weeks old now) and four of the six are roosting with the big girls. The two stragglers have moved in with broody number three and her two week old solo chick.

I'm guessing he's ready for them do be done with being broody and raising chicks, LOL!. One of the moms has started ignoring the chicks (they're 6 weeks old now) and four of the six are roosting with the big girls. The two stragglers have moved in with broody number three and her two week old solo chick.

Nothing wrong here - Sylvester is just a freak. Just kidding. I think he's ready to have his broodies back under his "care". :)

I just set 8 eggs from my "royal couple" the rumpless araucanas under a broody blue laced red wyandotte. Here's hoping the roo is doing his job.
I'll find out in a week. :)

Quote: Lucky you!

Speaking of Roos....I had visit from the Chicken Police yesterday. I had 2 cockerels that just started to crow a bit on Saturday...code enforcement on Monday. Great neighbors... They couldn't have come and asked me about it personally. I already had 3 (including the 2 that were crowning) in a crate on the front porch to go to a new owner when the guy showed up. more lined up for freezer camp this morning (starting in about minutes). The guy as nice about it at least. He said we are only supposed to have 2, but didn't ask how many I did have or ask to look. He also didn't give me time frame or say he would be back to check. Hopefully once the crowing stops there will be no more issues, but I will be downsizing a lot. They have gotten way out of hand.

I just set 8 eggs from my "royal couple" the rumpless araucanas under a broody blue laced red wyandotte. Here's hoping the roo is doing his job.
I'll find out in a week.
smile.png

*fingers crossed* He's such a beautiful bird!

Back
Top Bottom