California - Northern

Wow, that is a beautiful and dark egg! Amazing that's from a RIR! Ron's doing something right over there :)

Hello chrissyr,

Thank you for your comment about my HRIR egg! Yes! Ron raises very nice chicks : )

Wow, that's a REALLY dark egg for a RIR.  My HRIR lay a light to medium brown egg and never speckled.

There's no chance that was from someone else?

Pretty egg though.

Hello Deb,

My RIRs., and NHs. are in a separate area of their own, and the other chickens does not have any access to their yard. NHs. are not at the laying age yet. It reminds me of a Welsummer or Marans egg, but, I don't own any, and neither of my hens lay such a dark colour egg. It was quite a surprise to me. I am glad that you think it is a pretty egg.

Thank you for sharing the pictures of the pullets and the egg!

I hope she keeps laying eggs that dark. My guess it that she will settle into a lighter brown once she settles into regular laying.

I am still waiting on mine to lay.

Well, I should be the one to thank you for such beautiful HRIR pullets, Ron! They just went through a drastic molt, and I was not expecting any eggs. The cockerel started to crow this week, and he sounds like a badly tuned French Horn, and quite busy chasing everything that moves, or not... I love the sounds of the cockerels...just too cute and whimsical..

Lual

Last edited:
alrighty
July 1974
I love this game but I really thought you were older than me!
big_smile.png
Maybe because you are nice..... I

1970. But late In the year so I still have to do maths.
1970 too! How late in the year?

Does anyone in the Modesto/Turlock area have any white egg layers they would like to sell? My Hubby has informed me that he just can't get into the "brown egg thing".

Correction...he wants Leghorn eggs;)

Anyone?
That's just funny but I get it. I had a hard time getting comfortable with brown eggs too and THEN I had a hard time eating my own chickens eggs! Now does that make any sense?

not a chicken, but this little bird was brought indoors by one of the cats this morning and then got stuck in one of the skylights, too high to reach -- finally managed to get it tangled in some bird netting and back outside:
Wow!!!! How amazing..... You actually got to hold a hummingbird......

Hello Ron,

Today, one of the HRIRs I got from you laid her first egg, and wanted you to see it. I was surprised as to it's deep dark colour, and large size. The two light colour eggs are from my LF adult hens. I took the photos in two different light settings to capture it's beauty; such a lovely gift!

Lual

Those really are some beautiful birds. I love them and have a thing for the HRIR's. I don't have any though. Her egg looks just like my Welsummer eggs.

Hello Ron,

Today, one of the HRIRs I got from you laid her first egg, and wanted you to see it. I was surprised as to it's deep dark colour, and large size. The two light colour eggs are from my LF adult hens. I took the photos in two different light settings to capture it's beauty; such a lovely gift!

Lual

Beautiful girls and egg. Looks like the egg my splash Marans pullet lays.

Well, we now have 5 hens! DH decided that we were doing well, and should add to the flock. Since it's been 2 weeks since we got our first 3, we decided to get more from the same lady so that quarantine should be OK to skip (I did finally tell him about quarantine--he doesn't like the idea of chickens in the garage for a month... I think I may have figured out how and where to make a temporary predator-proof coop/run that I can disassemble when not in use.) I did split the coop in half with a getting-to-know-you wall, since I figure they've forgotten each other by now. We got 2 RSL at the end of molt (none of her birds are currently laying--they're all either just at POL or molting).

My phone battery was dieing, so I'll have to get pictures tomorrow.

Well, we now have 5 hens! DH decided that we were doing well, and should add to the flock. Since it's been 2 weeks since we got our first 3, we decided to get more from the same lady so that quarantine should be OK to skip (I did finally tell him about quarantine--he doesn't like the idea of chickens in the garage for a month... I think I may have figured out how and where to make a temporary predator-proof coop/run that I can disassemble when not in use.) I did split the coop in half with a getting-to-know-you wall, since I figure they've forgotten each other by now. We got 2 RSL at the end of molt (none of her birds are currently laying--they're all either just at POL or molting).

My phone battery was dieing, so I'll have to get pictures tomorrow.
you only need 10 days quarantine . I was told

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but one I get started on something, I'm a little obsessive.

I'm still looking for the surprisingly elusive Leghorn chicks and discovered the California Gray chicken. Also a prolific white egg layer since they're a Leghorn cross. Does anyone have experience with this breed? I love the fact that the breed was started in Modesto (my area).

Hello Ron,

Lual

Who lays that lovely pink egg?

Back
Top Bottom