California - Northern

I would be one of those that could not handle it!

The temperatures are lower this morning and I actually went and spent a little time sitting in the pen watch the chickens. The cloud cover, however, is really raising the humidity levels. Great for the fires, (as long a there are no thunderstorms), but it has gotten really uncomfortably humid already. I took the dogs out to play and had to cut the time in half. Even they were getting too hot and tired. When I was out with the birds I noticed how many cockerels it looks like I have. It looks like at least 10. A couple will be processed early next week, but 2 others have decided to start crowing
hmm.png
. I can't have that so I plan to send them to new homes this weekend. One is a Black Copper Marans and the other is a crested Cream Legbar. They are both very handsome and really wish I could keep them!!!
hit.gif

Was that the one in Iraq??? I saw that on Facebook. I can't even imagine that!

They are! They look painful!
ep.gif

Oh...I would SOOO take the Silkie hen if I were not trying to downsize. I can't remember if you are on the 530 FB page, but if not, I would be happy to share the info there.

Thanks Vicki, I have already posted them on FB 530 Poultry. The group moves so fast my ads get lost in conversation the same day I post it. Like everyone else, I am way over my chicken limit and need to seriously downsize! Trying to decide who goes. Hard! I love them all!

We are back to thick smoke and 100+ temps. Not a winning combination in my book. We are getting some from N CA fires and then the Roseburg fire is adding to it. 109 when I left work at 2:30 and smoke so thick my eyes and throat were burning, couldn't make out any of the hills around. It's been worse but it is still tough on everything here.

We are back to thick smoke and 100+ temps. Not a winning combination in my book. We are getting some from N CA fires and then the Roseburg fire is adding to it. 109 when I left work at 2:30 and smoke so thick my eyes and throat were burning, couldn't make out any of the hills around. It's been worse but it is still tough on everything here.

That is terrible!

We were at 92 for a high and there was some smoke from the Wrague fire and the new one closer to Napa.

It will be cooler tomorrow and Sunday for us, down to 87 on Wednesday. I will be in SF at the Paransus hospital--My DW will have a parathyroid tumor removed that day--I will take a sweatshirt.

Well chicks installed under broody she shuffled them under her wings as I grabbed the dud eggs. (couldnt get 1 egg ill get it tomorrow)
Also installed Chicken farmer starter kit at my brother in law's house tonight. freeing up one pen so I can swap the little family with the youngsters in a few days.

Now to get the other pens set up so I can move the starter kit to their real home (replace with current youngster flock) and move the current pita kids outside.

Quote: It does move fast! For people who are looking you can go straight to the ads, but I think most are there for conversation.

How awful! The heat always seems so much worse when it is accompanied by this smoke. I remember that combination from the 2008 fires and it was pretty miserable. I hope they get the fires out soon and it clears up there. Stay safe!

Quote: Hope the surgery goes well! I will be thinking of her.

Well chicks installed under broody she shuffled them under her wings as I grabbed the dud eggs. (couldnt get 1 egg ill get it tomorrow)
Also installed Chicken farmer starter kit at my brother in law's house tonight. freeing up one pen so I can swap the little family with the youngsters in a few days.

Now to get the other pens set up so I can move the starter kit to their real home (replace with current youngster flock) and move the current pita kids outside.
big_smile.png
Sounds like a busy weekend! Glad the chick grafting went well...

I have a cute, small white Silkie hen available that goes broody more often than not. All mine do. She is a year and a half old. She is from Catdance Silkie eggs and produces super nice quality partridge chicks when crossed with my Porcelain roosters. One of the porcelain roosters is available also. Same age/hatch as the hen. I am in Grass Valley.
I am really interested. Would you pm me a time frame and $ info please?

I was born in Red Bluff and lived in Corning back in 1981 when the record high was 121.9. Woodland is much cooler but still hot!

Yeah that's crazy hot. I remember it hitting 123 in Tucson Az when I was a kid but as a kid it didn't bother me much. I mean we just doused ourselves with a hose and ran around soaking wet. Lol

I do think the heat is much, much worse in humid areas. Normally I don't mind the heat but in humid heat I feel like I'm literally suffocating! I hate it!

Last edited:

That is terrible!

We were at 92 for a high and there was some smoke from the Wrague fire and the new one closer to Napa.

It will be cooler tomorrow and Sunday for us, down to 87 on Wednesday. I will be in SF at the Paransus hospital--My DW will have a parathyroid tumor removed that day--I will take a sweatshirt.
i hope her surgery goes well.

Back
Top Bottom