California - Northern

My brother in law lost a bird to a predator yesterday and 2 more this morning. After consulting with a few people we think it might be an opossum. It tended to eat mostly the internals and went after the eggs they had yet to lay today. It was pretty gruesome but they left most of the meat on the carcass.

I rescued the remaining hen(a pita) and since she originally came from my flock and has not been with other birds put her back with my pita flock. She was welcomed in with no problems what so ever. I love pitas so good about flock politics. She wasnt sure what to make of the boys advances though. He is such a gentleman though and didnt push the issue.

He had them in his suburban back yard letting them free range for the greens and bugs when they were all taken.

Sad couple of days but the remaining one seems happy just to have friends again.
STOP MAKING ME WANT PITA PINTAS!
barnie.gif
Seriously, though, I am sorry to hear about your brother-in-law's problems. I'm glad the flock took the survivor back in so readily.

I've been away from the board because I have been busy with two chicken disasters. I am super paranoid and never let my flock free-range when I am not home to oversee, but the one freaking time I let them out and then fall asleep when trying to put my toddler down for a nap, two large dogs come over the fence and I lose 11 birds (9 killed by dogs, 2 I put down because they were hopeless) and 5 with serious injuries. Fortunately, it has been three weeks and all 5 are doing really well. It was really touch-and-go with one of my favorite birds, a chocolate Orpington rooster. I almost put him down the first day he was so badly wounded, but kind of selfishly decided to try. I don't know that he'll ever be recovered enough to be able to mount the hens, but he is recovered enough to stand, walk and scratch and he earned his keep by repeatedly attacking two pit bulls for the sake of his ladies. Then yesterday I was trying to clean up some of the muddy chicken runs and I slipped and landed with a glass waterer right in the small of my back. From jacked up birds to a jacked up back. Fingers crossed that my chicken luck turns around and my partridge wyandotte eggs arrive tomorrow with decent air cells so I can set them for an Easter hatch.

Anyone have a small incubator I could borrow or rent? Or buy?
I have collected fertile eggs for a friend but she never came and got them. I want to try a hatch

I just bought an incubator. So excited to hatch my first chicks. If this works I will have lots of chicks.

Awesome! Can't wait to see pics of my "grandchicks," ha ha. You should check out the hatch-a-longs in the incubating & hatching eggs section; the people are super helpful.

I have hatching eggs on order from Papa's Poultry again; really looking forward to hatching again.

I just bought an incubator. So excited to hatch my first chicks. If this works I will have lots of chicks.
You are truly lost now
lol.png
. Welcome to the madness, hatching chicks never gets old. What kind of incubator did you get? I knew better than to trust myself, so I got the smallest one that was high-quality. I do well not wanting to set eggs all the time, but when I do decide to set them I am always tempted to set every last egg I can get my hands on.

Back
Top Bottom