California - Northern

Thank you a whole bunch, Megan!!!!
I looked @ numerous sites that all say different things & for some reason, that page didn't come up in my google vent gleet search; very helpful!
Wish us luck, starting treatment now!
fl.gif

Hi Amy(zooweemama)

I haven't seen a reply to your protein question so I will give it a bump for you!

I don't know the specifics, but here is what I would do. Get the protein percentage for the Oats you are using. Break out the calculator and figure out the ratios you would need to cut the protein to around 16%. Use weight and not volume.

If you have a Garden, chickens love chard and kale. I think of Chard as the plant that keeps on giving. When you cut a leaf off, two will grow in it's place.

Any other ideas on the wheat cutting flock raiser question?

Bye,

Ron

Last edited:
Coop done. ALL the chickens in. 6 week olds and the 4 week olds together over night. I have to note there is a HUGE difference that 2 weeks makes. The 6 week olds look like monsters! We put them together yesterday evening while we were putting the finishing touches on the coop. So we could be around to see if it wasn't working out. The 6 week olds pecked a tiny bit to make sure they 4 weekers knew who da boss was. Nothing serious though. This morning all 18 still kicking. No blood nada. They stick in their age groups though. I am liking the alfalfa hay idea. I think it will give the chickens something to do since they all have to stay in the coop/run for a couple weeks.

I can't find sweet pdz here!

Oh and the poop boards are not done yet but I figured- get the chickens in the coop and we can work on those as we go. I am so happy to have all these chickens out of my house! I bet the 4 week olds are too. They have SO much room to run around. They had been stuck in their little kennel brooder all this time. They were squirting through the chain link though so we had to grab the old chicken wire from the coop and wrap it around the base and even had to use a piece of that orange construction plastic fencing stuff for a part of it. Not pretty but no more chickens squirting through. LOL

Quote:
We do a yearly trip to Fort Bragg. We rent a house on Ward Ave right on the beach. All our kids, spouses, grandkids and my parents come for a week. Because of my husband having to take off to care for me after my back surgeries and my daughter planned a trip to take us to Hawaii in November, my husband didn't have the vacation time so we aren't going. I'm having a really hard time missing it. We would have left next Sunday. I pray we can all get back on track with our annual trip next year.

You Fort Bragg, Mendo area people walk the beach for me!
cool.png

Hi Amy(zooweemama)

I haven't seen a reply to your protein question so I will give it a bump for you!

I don't know the specifics, but here is what I would do. Get the protein percentage for the Oats you are using. Break out the calculator and figure out the ratios you would need to cut the protein to around 16%. Use weight and not volume.

If you have a Garden, chickens love chard and kale. I think of Chard as the plant that keeps on giving. When you cut a leaf off, two will grow in it's place.

Any other ideas on the wheat cutting flock raiser question?

Bye,

Ron
Thanks Ron!! I was trying to think of a hearty plant to plant around the run/coop and I think rainbow chard would be PERFECT. It's pretty, it's hardy and it's delicious to chickens! Thanks!

Coop done. ALL the chickens in. 6 week olds and the 4 week olds together over night. I have to note there is a HUGE difference that 2 weeks makes. The 6 week olds look like monsters! We put them together yesterday evening while we were putting the finishing touches on the coop. So we could be around to see if it wasn't working out. The 6 week olds pecked a tiny bit to make sure they 4 weekers knew who da boss was. Nothing serious though. This morning all 18 still kicking. No blood nada. They stick in their age groups though. I am liking the alfalfa hay idea. I think it will give the chickens something to do since they all have to stay in the coop/run for a couple weeks.

Oh and the poop boards are not done yet but I figured- get the chickens in the coop and we can work on those as we go. I am so happy to have all these chickens out of my house! I bet the 4 week olds are too. They have SO much room to run around. They had been stuck in their little kennel brooder all this time. They were squirting through the chain link though so we had to grab the old chicken wire from the coop and wrap it around the base and even had to use a piece of that orange construction plastic fencing stuff for a part of it. Not pretty but no more chickens squirting through. LOL

Congratulations on the coop!! Getting the chicks out of the house (and garage for me) was such a good feeling! Kind of reminded me of when I said goodbye to last baby diaper! Freedom!

The Sweet PDZ is a mineral called zeolite. I think there are other brands that use the same stuff. Look for a stall freshener/ammonia remover for horses and check ingredients. Haven't tried it yet myself, but am working out a plan before the rains come (and poops won't dry out so quickly like they do during summer).
sickbyc.gif

Congrats!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom