California-Southern

I would give for 7-10 days. You have had 2 birds come down with it several days apart so it may be traveling accross your birds with a 3-4 day incubation period. 7-10 days should be enough to kill the bug and break the cycle.

I shop around. Even from the company I listed, there are other brands of the same generic drugs that are more expensive. Thats why I posted pictures of the ones I order.

Tylan is often recommended for resp diseases in chickens. I personally dont stock it as I use others that are cheaper and I feel as effective - but thats anecdotal and had no statistical merit.

My chickens are 7500 miles away so I have to treat them remotely. I find that the above cures most things.

It is important to make up fresh solution each day. Try not to make up too much at a time as wasted antbiotic filled water is bad for nature as it increases the speed at which resistance to the antibiotic develops.

Some drugs are listed as restricted in Ca. This means that they can only be used as directed. Any drugs listed on the jeffers site can be bought withour prescription.

I dont eat eggs while on antibiotics withholding period but I do incubate them.
The first had it only in one eye it seems almost cleared up. Then my EE showed in one and now both. Better safe than the other..

Hi there,

That reminds me, I have a Lyon's TurnX-6 if anyone interested,
PM me. (after Oz's is gone...not competing with a friend..)
no hurry anyway, people will begging for incubators come springtime.

Glenn

Hi there,

That reminds me, I have a Lyon's TurnX-6 if anyone interested,
PM me. (after Oz's is gone...not competing with a friend..)
no hurry anyway, people will begging for incubators come springtime.

Glenn
Oh yes, I also just rembered I have recently been bitten by the Heritage Turkey bug.
If anyone wants to do a trade of a couple pretty cool young turkeys I would consider that.
Btw, thanks Oz!

The first had it only in one eye it seems almost cleared up. Then my EE showed in one and now both. Better safe than the other..
Do you use DE in your set-up? I noticed the eye problem when I started with the DE.... That's why I only make changes one at a time so I can see if anything is linked to the changes. Although I'm still medicating, the eye problem returned to the EE after it looked like it had cleared up and still no other birds have any problems. I have started applying neosporen again to her eyes...

Too much DE can get in their eyes, and as it is abrasive can cause eye problems. Little chicks seem to be most vulnerable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom