California-Southern

UGH this rain is great but is a pain in the butt! I have covers we made for the coop so it doesnt flood or get water in mass amount in it but all my girl are so upset... I walk outside to check a new girl I got that is in quarantine and my cuckoo maran starts yelling and I mean yelling!
I had to go take some eggs to my neighbor because I felt bad that they occasionally have to deal with her noise.
1f644.png

Last edited:
UGH this rain is great but is a pain in the butt! I have covers we made for the coop so it doesnt flood or get water in mass amount in it but all my girl are so upset... I walk outside to check a new girl I got that is in quarantine and my cuckoo maran starts yelling and I mean yelling!
I had to go take some eggs to my neighbor because I felt bad that they occasionally have to deal with her noise.
1f644.png

My Marans was the opposite -- she was quiet but a very sneaky and bully bird. Had to re-home her after we caught her chewing on the Silkies and challenging every flock member to fights. Before her meanness got contagious in the flock we re-homed her. It took us and a friend a while to figure which breeds were more compatible to mix with others and found Marans do better with other assertive dual purpose breeds where size and temperaments are more equal.

My Marans was the opposite -- she was quiet but a very sneaky and bully bird.  Had to re-home her after we caught her chewing on the Silkies and challenging every flock member to fights.   Before her meanness got contagious in the flock we re-homed her.  It took us and a friend a while to figure which breeds were more compatible to mix with others and found Marans do better with other assertive dual purpose breeds where size and temperaments are more equal.

Interesting. My 1 maran is usually pretty quite unless something like rain upsets her, she is a great bird and I love her dearly her name is Genevieve... At first I got her just because I simply like marans, she ended up being absolutely beautiful and I am going to put her into shows with my 2 bantam Cochins and a standard Cochin. Never expected to get such a nice looking hen since she was a chick from kahoots. Sadly she is not very good at picture shoots or getting her picture takin so all I have is side shoots, butt, or face.
1f602.png

Interesting. My 1 maran is usually pretty quite unless something like rain upsets her, she is a great bird and I love her dearly her name is Genevieve... At first I got her just because I simply like marans, she ended up being absolutely beautiful and I am going to put her into shows with my 2 bantam Cochins and a standard Cochin. Never expected to get such a nice looking hen since she was a chick from kahoots. Sadly she is not very good at picture shoots or getting her picture takin so all I have is side shoots, butt, or face.
1f602.png

Butt shots are cute too! My Silkies run from the camera in my hand!

Poor drenched birds!  Putting some paver stones on a dirt floor will give the chickens a place to stand out of the cold water.  That's what we did when we had our dirt-bottom little coop.  SoCal is so notorious for heatwaves and humidity but once or twice every decade or so we get these torrential downpours!

You got that right! Looks like we will be able to dry out for the next week or so.

My chicken run and coop are new (August 2016) and thankfully held up with all of the rain and wind.

1f644.png

My girls were all VERY quiet until they started laying last month. Now they are quite chatty at times, and really speak up when they see or hear me. Is this the norm?

My girls were all VERY quiet until they started laying last month. Now they are quite chatty at times, and really speak up when they see or hear me. Is this the norm?

Yeah they are just upset about the weather because the can't run around in the yard or play... I am hyped the rain is subsiding for a few days and I am sure my girls are too

Hungry hens also make noise.

If they are free fed they are probably bored... need play time to wander the yard... or a rooster to keep em busy.

Just learned that the stuff you use on kids for head lice... Is permethrin! Way cheaper and easier safer than mixing my own concoction. Haven't tried it yet, not even sure if there's an active mite issue, but I'll add it to my chicken kit. Anyone used it? NIX spray is what I saw in the store.

Back
Top Bottom