California-Southern

Pics
thanks LaGeniaLoca! i will sneak away to the bird farm when i drop of the kids at school or something (cross streets are Magnolia and Cerritos according to google maps) not too far off my path but sounds like a great place to just even browse around thanks again... around here people look at me like i am a freak when they learn i have a few backyard chickens....
smile.png

I am going to Midway City Feed on Wednesday to buy some chicks I will let you know what I think. I checked a place up on Chapman Ave in Orange about there chicks but they wanted $6.00 each ha ha I don't think so.

Barb

hi basslady!

that place is just around the corner from my work place... i got my pullets from there as well... back in the day they were $1.. i paid $2 each for mine and depending on who you ask, they typically have brown leghorns, buff orpingtons, RIRs, EEs, barred rocks and cuckoo marans... and turkeys.... and i have seen polish occasionally... from experience their barred rocks are kinda iffy... but the marans and EE i got from there back in june are thriving and are my biggest/heavier birds out of the bunch so far.... i am so tempted to go there now to see what they have...
droolin.gif
have fun!

Hi everybody! My first post -- kinda wingin' it since I don't even have my chickens yet!
Built a gorgeous coop while DH was laid up at home all summer, will post pix soon.
My backyard in Pacific Palisades looks empty with no chickens, hoping to go up to Lompoc for some Dominique pullets next week.
Malibu Feed Bin on PCH at Topanga is very friendly and helpful, plenty of chicks/rabbits -- just not the ones I want.

Thank you for the info, I am not sure what you mean about the barred rocks being iffy? Do you buy your other supplies there? I am going there in the morning so I will give you an update:)
Barb
Quote:

Quote:

yeah please update on ur experience there... "iffy" because based on my observation and experience... the barred rocks from there are often the first/only birds to get sick or die... in the brooder they don't thrive like the others... i had 1 back in june for 2 days before she kicked the bucket... i went back to get another replacement so my daughter wouldn't be upset... a few days later the replacement BR didn't make as well.. the other same age chicks were all doing great especially my EE and buff orp... so i came back again insisting on picking another week-old barred rock... the guy on duty at the time didn't want me to touch anything so i told him to pick out the strongest week old BR... i was happy and as the chicks grew and my knowledge of chickens grew (thanks to BYC)...turns out that that BR is actually a cuckoo marans
love.gif
..called the feed store and spoke with a more knowledgeable person who confirmed it... so for sure they have barred rocks and cuckoo marans
smile.png
(sorry didn't mean to ramble on but it's really the only chance i get to talk about chickens.... oh well...)

Thank you so much for the information
wink.png
I was going there today to get some chicks but ended up taking my husband to the hospital. It turned out that he was drinking to much water and eating to much salt, all is well now. I will try to make it over there in the morning and let ya'll know what I find.

Barb

Quote:

yeah please update on ur experience there... "iffy" because based on my observation and experience... the barred rocks from there are often the first/only birds to get sick or die... in the brooder they don't thrive like the others... i had 1 back in june for 2 days before she kicked the bucket... i went back to get another replacement so my daughter wouldn't be upset... a few days later the replacement BR didn't make as well.. the other same age chicks were all doing great especially my EE and buff orp... so i came back again insisting on picking another week-old barred rock... the guy on duty at the time didn't want me to touch anything so i told him to pick out the strongest week old BR... i was happy and as the chicks grew and my knowledge of chickens grew (thanks to BYC)...turns out that that BR is actually a cuckoo marans
love.gif
..called the feed store and spoke with a more knowledgeable person who confirmed it... so for sure they have barred rocks and cuckoo marans
smile.png
(sorry didn't mean to ramble on but it's really the only chance i get to talk about chickens.... oh well...)

:(No I did not make it yet but I did get a bunch of things I need to build the outside cage and run:). I am beginning to think that I will have everything ready and nothing to put in them
smile.png

Barb

Back
Top Bottom