California-Southern

Pics
Another suggestion would be to wrap a cloth sheet or towel around the sides of the laundry basket. Having the top open gives enough air. Chicks do like it very warm for a few days and after about two weeks you can give them less by raising the light hight. Watch the chicks, if they run around the basket they are warm enough like OC closet chicken fan posted.

Thank you for the suggestions, they huddle together a lot but they also run around alot to. I did put some boards around the outside of the basket and that seemed to help a lot. One of the buff ones is not doing to well and I have to stick it's beak in the water every little bit. She seems better today and I see her eating and drinking a little. It has been 35 years since I had chickens, back then the hens did all the work for me LOL.

Barb

trying really really hard not to get any more chicks.............. have great itch to buy more... must resist.....
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
You can resist !! RESIST awwh I know how hard it is ! I always want another breed or bird or chicks and I have a hard enough time to care for the ones that I do have.

Chicken hoarders UNITE resist

Things are not good in my basket, I started last Thursday with 5 chicks I am now down to 2. I don't even want to go check on them for fear I will have lost another. I think I am going to see if I can find some hens about two months old or more. Anyone have a place I can check please let me know.

Barb

Barb that is so sad. I wonder if it is the place that hatched them out. This may sound strange but this time of year does not seem the best for hatching. I have read about a lot of failed incubations over the past month. In fact I ordered some chicks and the breeder who usually has very good hatches did not this time and needed to cancel the order.

If you go down toward the end of the index you will see Buy and Sell section: here is a link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=586743 the post says ended but if she might have some anyway and I did not notice if anyone bought these. Send a PM if you can drive to North Edwards. Tricia has very nice birds. I have three of her white Ameraucanas and three bantam Polish.

Most likely there will be some nice birds for sale at the Bakersfield Show at the fairgrounds on November 12th. I want to go but have a prior commitment. The next show is December 3 in Victorville. Good show.

yes....for now i am resisting getting more chickens.... but comes warmer weather in a few months..... i might not be able to restrain myself haha...we'll see....

Barb, sorry about your chicks... i have lived and learned.... when i pick out chicks from there, i usually would get the "non-sleepy" ones... or even the bigger few day old ones just because i can't stand to lose any also... the trip from the hatchery to the feed store must be really stressful on them... i lost 2 barred rocks when i first started maybe from stress... sometimes it's just normal statistics for some to not make it...sorta expected.... anywho... try craigslist or locate a local breeder in so cal somewhere or even on byc....i am sure ppl here will hook u up... yeah try not to be too discouraged you still have 2 left... just keep them warm and u should be ok... best of luck

I'm sorry about your chicks, Barb. (hi everyone! I was here for about two seconds, in the spring, and then left because I was supposed to go to the meetup at Norco and at the last minute didn't go and then I felt so guilty and embarrassed that it has taken me this long to come back)

I work with baby wildlife, and I know that feeling you describe, of not wanting to even look at the basket for fear of another death, very well. Any kind of infant animal, chicks or puppies or whatever, are fragile. Don't be discouraged. With any animal that produces a lot of young, nature builds in ways to prevent overpopulation, and infant mortality is one of those ways.

As much as I love the idea of fluffy chicks, I am thinking of starting with older birds, for that reason.

Froggie, I *love* your little serama! The more I see seramas, the more I want one, or a dozen. But right now I've still got infant wildlife here, the weather has been so wacky, I got in a litter of infant raccoons last month - and raccoon babies are usually born in March! I thought I was all done for the season, broke down all my caging, cleared out the quarantine rooms, put my house back together, and whap!- baby raccoons fall out of someone's roof. So now they have to overwinter with me, which means maybe I'll be ready for some chickens in the spring. Maybe! I don't want to jinx myself. I've never had such a difficult 'baby wildlife season'. Phew.

Back
Top Bottom