California-Southern

Can anyone direct me to some reputable hatcheries? I’m in Glendora and lost 2 of my chickens during that horrible heat day we had. Despite fans, misters, ice blocks, cold watermelon and fresh water, they just couldn’t handle the heat. I’m looking to raise 2 chicks and would like a heat tolerant friendly breed. Thanks!
this is a great question!
but first...i am soooo sorry for your loss. big hugs to you.

as for what breeds are heat tolerant...i looked up that very info at mypetchicken.com
they have a great breed page and a breed selection tool. the tool has a button for heat tolerant breeds as well as other characteristics you might be looking for. as for the breed page, i read every breed and looked for the heat tolerant breeds. the hatchery near me sells breeds that are NOT heat tolerable...so weird. Our leghorns are heat tolerant. there seems to be places in Norco to get chicks from. i havent used them yet. looking for closer places...good luck in the search!

this is a great question!
but first...i am soooo sorry for your loss. big hugs to you.

as for what breeds are heat tolerant...i looked up that very info at mypetchicken.com
they have a great breed page and a breed selection tool. the tool has a button for heat tolerant breeds as well as other characteristics you might be looking for. as for the breed page, i read every breed and looked for the heat tolerant breeds. the hatchery near me sells breeds that are NOT heat tolerable...so weird. Our leghorns are heat tolerant. there seems to be places in Norco to get chicks from. i havent used them yet. looking for closer places...good luck in the search!

I tried so,es of the FB pages. But they don’t seem very active. I’m assuming you are in my “general” area if you know Norco. How friendly are your leghorns? I personally heard a comment today that there was no reason my two fluffy chicks should have died from the heat. Made me self doubt.

Can anyone direct me to some reputable hatcheries? I’m in Glendora and lost 2 of my chickens during that horrible heat day we had. Despite fans, misters, ice blocks, cold watermelon and fresh water, they just couldn’t handle the heat. I’m looking to raise 2 chicks and would like a heat tolerant friendly breed. Thanks!
Hi Melanie. I'm so sorry that your chicks died. Our heat has been overwhelming and it just doesn't cool off at night the way it did in years past. My heart goes out to you especially for the disappointment your children must have felt.

I'm not really in a position to give advice because I haven't started my flock yet. That said, I've settled on the Australorp as a perfect breed for me. Among other attributes, they do well in heat. I was thinking of getting them from the Dare2Dream farm in Lompoc. It's kind of far to go there (especially since they do deliver) but I plan to go because I'm sure I can pick up some good advice if I go in person. They don't have as big a selection (or prices as low) now as they had in the spring, but I expect you'll want to restart your flock ASAP.

My best wishes to you,
Vera

Hi Melanie. I'm so sorry that your chicks died. Our heat has been overwhelming and it just doesn't cool off at night the way it did in years past. My heart goes out to you especially for the disappointment your children must have felt.

I'm not really in a position to give advice because I haven't started my flock yet. That said, I've settled on the Australorp as a perfect breed for me. Among other attributes, they do well in heat. I was thinking of getting them from the Dare2Dream farm in Lompoc. It's kind of far to go there (especially since they do deliver) but I plan to go because I'm sure I can pick up some good advice if I go in person. They don't have as big a selection (or prices as low) now as they had in the spring, but I expect you'll want to restart your flock ASAP.

My best wishes to you,
Vera
Wow.

For anyone that is allowed rooster, I have a couple of GORGEOUS frizzled and non frizzled polish roo's that need a new home. Anyone interested? Here's a few....
20180711_092411.jpg 20180711_092425.jpg

I tried so,es of the FB pages. But they don’t seem very active. I’m assuming you are in my “general” area if you know Norco. How friendly are your leghorns? I personally heard a comment today that there was no reason my two fluffy chicks should have died from the heat. Made me self doubt.

Well, I m not sure about what made your chicks pass, but I was thinking about you and the self doubt.
(We were at Disney on Thursday. It was regular hot, but my 9 year old got heat stroke and we had to leave ASAP. Inspite of hydrating and resting in the cool air. As we were rushing out i was totally thinking of u and your chicks! Every body is different and reacts to heat differently.)
Being that it IS hot here from july through October, I would look for breeds that do better in the heat. You will be less stressed, and the chicks will suffer the heat less.
My leghorns are nice. They are happy to see me and love to be near the family...but, they are very similar to cats. They want your attention when they want it. They don' like being handled. That makes my son sad, he wants a pet to cuddle and pet. They are perfect for me. I cuddle with boy, the hubby, the dog, and the cat. Lol. I wish you the best of luck.

I just a forum on BYC titled Is Heat Exhaustion Real in Chickens...u should check it out! ♡

Well, I m not sure about what made your chicks pass, but I was thinking about you and the self doubt.
(We were at Disney on Thursday. It was regular hot, but my 9 year old got heat stroke and we had to leave ASAP. Inspite of hydrating and resting in the cool air. As we were rushing out i was totally thinking of u and your chicks! Every body is different and reacts to heat differently.)
Being that it IS hot here from july through October, I would look for breeds that do better in the heat. You will be less stressed, and the chicks will suffer the heat less.
My leghorns are nice. They are happy to see me and love to be near the family...but, they are very similar to cats. They want your attention when they want it. They don' like being handled. That makes my son sad, he wants a pet to cuddle and pet. They are perfect for me. I cuddle with boy, the hubby, the dog, and the cat. Lol. I wish you the best of luck.

Wow. That’s 3 1/2 hours I’ve way from where I live. So it would be a 9 hour excursion! That’s a bit much for me to drive! But I’ll look into that breed. And yes, it was hard on my 23 year old child and yes

Back
Top Bottom