Call Ducks on day 30!! All still moving but no internal pip…what next?

Jazzgirl89

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2022
Hey! First time here and hatching ever!!

So I have 16 call duck eggs in the incubator now on day 30!! Started with 24. Definitely calls as they are from my ducks which are pet quality.
Using a brinsea ovation advance 26 or 28 I think it is. It’s set at 36.9c & H-80% for lockdown (I’ve read so much on Google and here but everyone says slightly different)
I’m not sure what to do next to be honest. I have today snuck my hand in to candle each egg and all are still moving, I wouldn’t say they are super active but all are still wiggling around. No internal pip on any yet, do I just wait it out or step in. I’m guessing its something I’ve done during incubation which is why I’m now here. During incubation they were turned every hour automatically and 37.5c & H-57 occasionally rising to 62ish
I’ve seen the thread on here on how to assist but this obviously applies if they’ve pipped. Any advice is hugely appreciated 🥰

Attachments

• CB5DC5D5-4482-4935-B12E-7F1A6182104D.jpeg
    CB5DC5D5-4482-4935-B12E-7F1A6182104D.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 69
I had it set on 37.5c up until day 26 where I read some other info that said to lower for lockdown, i searched and searched for a go to recipe for success. I’m only so desperate for these to hatch as my entire flock was wiped out by a fox and all I had was eggs so panicked and bought an incubator, the ones I had were so friendly…I’m so sentimental 🤦‍♀️
Well...
I have found in my experience it does absolutely no good to start assisting if they don't internally pip on their own.
But if they are all still moving around I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
Is it possible you counted your days wrong?
Also 26 days is just kind of in general...
And usually they will just begin to hatch on 26 and can take several days to finish.
I would think they would have at least internally pipped by now though.
It is possible your incubator wasn't quite as warm as it was reading.
But I wouldn't go cranking it up unless you have an alternate thermometer you know is correct to place inside to see where it actually is.

I will also say..
I have had eggs hatch under a broody before that I swear took at least 30 days or more.
Of course when you're dealing with a broody you don't know exactly when they started sitting full time. But still..
I'm just sayin it's still possible they could hatch.

If they are still moving and not have pipped yet there is only so much you can do.

Maybe your thermometer is off and the actual temp is lower?
I personally would set it on 37.7 and your humidity seems quite high! As I try to keep it at 60-70% just before hatching.

Lower during the earlier stages but than I spray them every day.

Calls should only take 26 days. Your temps are too low. 37.5c is where it should be. I agree that humidity it too high.

@shawluvsbirds, we have another one! @WVduckchick
I had it set on 37.5c up until day 26 where I read some other info that said to lower for lockdown, i searched and searched for a go to recipe for success. I’m only so desperate for these to hatch as my entire flock was wiped out by a fox and all I had was eggs so panicked and bought an incubator, the ones I had were so friendly…I’m so sentimental 🤦‍♀️

Well...
I have found in my experience it does absolutely no good to start assisting if they don't internally pip on their own.
But if they are all still moving around I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
Is it possible you counted your days wrong?
Also 26 days is just kind of in general...
And usually they will just begin to hatch on 26 and can take several days to finish.
I would think they would have at least internally pipped by now though.
It is possible your incubator wasn't quite as warm as it was reading.
But I wouldn't go cranking it up unless you have an alternate thermometer you know is correct to place inside to see where it actually is.

I will also say..
I have had eggs hatch under a broody before that I swear took at least 30 days or more.
Of course when you're dealing with a broody you don't know exactly when they started sitting full time. But still..
I'm just sayin it's still possible they could hatch.
Thank you, I had marked everything on the calendar to be sure because I wanted to do it right. But I am doubting the temperature now so ordered another thermometer on Amazon last night after someone else said. It must be something like that as it’s all the eggs rather than the odd one.

I’ll give them abit more time and hope for the best 🤞

So out of the 16 I think I was left with 8 hatched but 1 died after, it didn’t look right though. A few died in the shells but had internally pipped. I think I must of had the temperature to low which delayed it or something but the remaining ones are doing really well and are making lots of noise and mess…it was a good learning curve. I’m keen to do it again as I think next time I would feel abit more comfortable with the whole process. I took notes after id asked for help on here.

I’m just grateful after all the stress that I actually got some 💕

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 8
If they are still moving and not have pipped yet there is only so much you can do.

Maybe your thermometer is off and the actual temp is lower?
I personally would set it on 37.7 and your humidity seems quite high! As I try to keep it at 60-70% just before hatching.

Lower during the earlier stages but than I spray them every day.
Thank you for your quick reply, I’ve now upped the temp slightly and lowered the humidity and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom